• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

C# and Engine DLL/EXE

This topic is 5093 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Im thinking of designing a tool editor for my engine, and would like to use C# and its Rapid-Aplication Development environment to quickly work out forms & dialogs. ...but I would like to link it with the engine dll, which is an unmanaged C++ created dll. Where can i find examples of projects using C# linked to an unmanaged DLL? Salsa cooked it, your eyes eat it!
[Hugo Ferreira][Positronic Dreams][Colibri 3D Engine][Entropy HL2 MOD][My DevDiary]
[Yann L.][Enginuity] [Penny Arcade] [MSDN][VS RoadMap][Humus][BSPs][UGP][NeHe]
"...if you had one shot, one oportunity, to seize everything you ever wanted for one moment, would you capture it? or just let it slip?" - Eminem

Advertisement
This question has already been asked quite a bit.

Basically your options are:

- Make a COM wrapper for your C++ engine
- Use pinvoke to make C-style DLL calls.

The latter is only useful if your C++ engine''s interface is entirely C-compatible (or you are willing to make a wrapper to make it so)

The former is only useful if you are sufficiently au fait with COM to do it in a manner that works.

Examples of how to do COM and pinvoke are in the MSDN docs

Mark

You may have a look at wxWidgets (www.wxwidgets.org). It''s a GUI framework, not RAD, however I think you will need less time using it with c++ than writting a COM wrapper.

I''ve already started writting this wrapper for my engine, then simply opted for the first solution, using c++ again for my editor.

Greg le och

quote:
Original post by markr
This question has already been asked quite a bit.

Basically your options are:

- Make a COM wrapper for your C++ engine
- Use pinvoke to make C-style DLL calls.

- Write a managed wrapper using Managed C++
- Use a tool like SWIG to generate the wrapper.

I''d generally recommend the latter.

--
AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.
[Project site] [Blog] [RSS] [Browse the source] [IRC channel]

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!