• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Attributes of water particles

This topic is 5067 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi there, I''m just working on a waterparticle system with OpenSG (OpenGL SceneGraph)... So far everything works fine but my waterdrops! It looks like balls I use quadrics and a transparent picture of a round waterparticle for each particle, but it doesnt look very realistic. Does anybody know some attributes that i should give a try? Or even a nice texture? Thanks in advance, Barzi

Advertisement
Yeh that sounds pretty tricky, i don''t know too many games that have realistic transparent looking water droplets... To make it look realistic I don''t think you will be able to do it just by giving it a certain texture. No matter what texture you choose it will just look too static. Real water droplets defract light that passes through it. So i think you will need to use environment mapping but that is gonna kill your frame rate.

One thing i did for my game to simulate reflections off a ball (which is similar to what you need to do), is that i create a cube texture. Then i''ll render the scene to that cube texture taking the center of the ball/droplet as the camera point. Then once you''ve got your cube map its just a question of assigning it to your ball/droplet and getting your x,y,z coordinates right. I did this in directx 9 though, not sure what kind of support you have in OpenGL for environment mapping. But in order to keep the frame rate reasonable, i only rendered to the cube map once at the start of the game. And as long as your ball/droplet stay in roughly the same area it will look realistic.

• Advertisement