Best IDE using gcc (Win or Linux) ?

Started by
11 comments, last by Charles B 19 years, 10 months ago
I currently use DevCpp under XP. But the integrated debugger (that wraps gdb.exe as far as I know) is really buggy. I know there is a separate one called Insight. Any worth ? Can I debug SIMD stuff and see the registers ? What's the best under Windows or Linux ? I'd prefer under Windows since I can compare my Visual and gcc bersions under the same session. [edited by - Charles B on June 9, 2004 7:55:49 AM]
"Coding math tricks in asm is more fun than Java"
Advertisement
Can''t say under windows, but I use KDevelop under Linux. It''s the best I''ve tried so far.

You have to remember that you''re unique, just like everybody else.
If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.
Isn''t there some kind of DEV Studio for MinGW? Check out the mingw web site...I think they have info there.

I like GVim and make :-)
Ultimate++ seems to be promising, but it''s still at version 0.1.8 as of yet. But maybe you should give it a shot!
AngelForce--"When I look back I am lost." - Daenerys Targaryen
thx all for the quick replies, I''ll check these links.
"Coding math tricks in asm is more fun than Java"
Anjuta is exactly like DevCpp

KDE is horrible piece of crap don''t install it unless you have to.
try Mingw Developer Studio. Both Linux and Windoze versions work pretty well. The debugger is pretty neat also.
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
I think the Borland C++ BuilderX is a very good IDE. In fact, I think it''s the best (for my purposes) IDE ever. You can use pretty much any compiler with it, even the MSVC compiler. (Yes, Borlands compiler ad MingW too) You can also use multiple compilers for the same project to do different builds!

The personal edition is free, get it here http://www.borland.com/cbuilderx/personal/index.html
Available for both Windows and Linux (and Solaris as well).
I''ve been looking for info on how to integrate microsofts free tools with eclipse cdt. Anyone done the hard work of getting it working?
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
KDE is horrible piece of crap don''t install it unless you have to.

What a wonderful, informative opinion. How about you start giving substance to your quite hostile views?

On the otherhand, I quite like KDE. Besides, this thread isn''t about what widget set to use is it? It''s about IDE''s.

I remember trying Eclipse, didn''t really seem very good to me ( well, compared to KDevelop - or I just didn''t like it ). But hey, each to their own.

You have to remember that you''re unique, just like everybody else.
If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement