• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nini

Help needed Shadow Volumes & lighting

This topic is 5099 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Here it is , i''m an addicted programmer. I made research to understand by myself a lot of theory about 3D Graphics for game. One question need practice in the matter : What model is good for lighting in actual game (lightmaps or per vertex lighting in a Vertex Shader ?) I try to understand the shadow volumes (best to render my meshes hmmm) , but i''m facing big problems there are numerous manner to implement them, i search a simple and detailed answer on how to build the shadow volume from scratch... explain me , the transformations needded on vertex data , the silhouette construction and rendering please be indulgent if you find my question too simple to answer to it or too hard, i''ll be gratefull for someone who help me. thanks , best regards.

Advertisement
Regarding the shadow volume: you can see the article on gamedev called " the theory of stencil shadow volume".
To see how to generate the shadow volume, you can see the shadow volume sample of the Dirctx sdk or see the shadow volume sample of booyah.com which uses vertex shader for this perpouse.
regarding lighting and which is better:
The lighting technique depends on your environment.for example you cannot use light maps for dynamic lights or dynamic geometry, but if you are sure your lights and geometry are static, you can use them as they can handle light interreflections,color bleeding, soft shadows and many things.
so determine what is your environment, what is your requirments then see what lighting technique would you use.
also there''s no relation between shadow volume and the lighting technique you are going to use.shadow volume only enables you to determine the pixels which are in shadow.

quote:
Original post by mohamed adel
Regarding the shadow volume: you can see the article on gamedev called " the theory of stencil shadow volume".
To see how to generate the shadow volume, you can see the shadow volume sample of the Dirctx sdk or see the shadow volume sample of booyah.com which uses vertex shader for this perpouse.
regarding lighting and which is better:
The lighting technique depends on your environment.for example you cannot use light maps for dynamic lights or dynamic geometry, but if you are sure your lights and geometry are static, you can use them as they can handle light interreflections,color bleeding, soft shadows and many things.
so determine what is your environment, what is your requirments then see what lighting technique would you use.
also there''s no relation between shadow volume and the lighting technique you are going to use.shadow volume only enables you to determine the pixels which are in shadow.

Thanks for your help, i''ll try to understand what is done in DirectX SDK...

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!