C# Development Legality Question

Started by
3 comments, last by jbailey 19 years, 10 months ago
I was wondering if it was legal to develop an application using an "Educational licensed" copy of VS .Net 2003, import the code into SharpDevelop and/or just from command line, compile using the free C# compiler from Microsoft''s website( Not the one that came with VS), and label the software as commerial software allowing it to be sold?
Advertisement
Use the Golden Rule:

Treat your development tools with the same respect as you will want people to treat the software you develop.

Morality will carry you farther in life than saving a few hundred dollars.

mdp
quote:Original post by jbailey
I was wondering if it was legal to develop an application using an "Educational licensed" copy of VS .Net 2003, import the code into SharpDevelop and/or just from command line, compile using the free C# compiler from Microsoft''s website( Not the one that came with VS), and label the software as commerial software allowing it to be sold?

What is "Educational licensed"? If you paid for the Academic version of VS.NET, there are no restrictions on what you do with it. If you got VS Academic through MSDNAA, it''s not so straightforward.

--
AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.
[Project site] [Blog] [RSS] [Browse the source] [IRC channel]
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
I got it through VS Academic through MSDNAA, and that''s why I was wondering. I think I''ll just program with #develop for anything commercial just to be safe.
Write the program in the uducational version. post screen shot and generate a lot of hype, after you get people interested, take pre-orders and use the money to buy the professional VS. then release ver. 1.0 compiled with that.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement