VC++ and DirectX?

Started by
4 comments, last by Sir Sapo 19 years, 10 months ago
I have a question about.. guess what ... VC++ and DirectX. What make Visual C++ visual? Does it have built in Graphics classes like Java''s Abstract Windows Toolkit? If so , is it good for making a 2D game in it? Also , if I am going to implement DirectX, what kind of C++ should I use
My Current Project Angels 22 (4E5)
Advertisement
The marketing department makes it Visual. I would hazard to guess that early versions wanted to emphasize support for windows? Anyways, the classes that handle windows interface for vc++ are part of Microsoft Foundation Classes (MFC). You''ll find some analogy between that and some parts of AWT or swing, though it''s by no means a direct parallel. If you haven''t done C++ before, it''s best to try it out with some MFC and basic dialog-based windows programs before you go ahead and jump into directx. When you''re ready, though, Visual C++ is very often used with DirectX and you''ll have no trouble finding examples to learn from.

Late Night PC
Hehe, this is absolutely true. Back in the day Microsoft was making compilers for C and Basic and Borland was on top of the world. Microsoft''s compilers were called Quick C and Quick Basic. At that time you had to do windows programming using Win32 API and code everything by hand. There were NO drag and drop capabilities. Then Borland came out with OWL (object windows library) That made window and dialog construction visual and drag and drop. Microsoft followed in there footsteps and made MFC (Microsoft Foundation Classes). They also added a drag and drop interface where you could build windows without coding them. Then they called it Visual C++.

That is where the Visiual came in. Everything is visual now, so it is sort of stupid that the name stuck around. It should just be called MS C++.

As far as games, VC++ is the number one used compiler with DirectX for both 2D and 3D games.

I hope this helps give you some history

Sincerely,
Randy Trulson
www.GamePotato.com
www.NeuronGames.com
Sincerely,Randy Trulsonwww.NeuronGames.com
So if I learned C++ , would I know the basics of VC++?
VC++ is an IDE and a compiler.

Your question is like: If I''d know Java, would I know the basics of Borland JBuilder?
I teleported home one night; With Ron and Sid and Meg; Ron stole Meggie's heart away; And I got Sydney's leg. <> I'm blogging, emo style
Pretty much xMCBainX

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement