Playing with vectors

Started by
11 comments, last by BSMonkey 19 years, 10 months ago
quote:
I guess that when the loop finishes it moves to the next statement and for some reason the last object on the stack hasn''t been destroyed by scope,
And what reason would that be? I don''t think the compiler would do a random stuff like that. One time it would destroy objects and other times it would not.

I think this is the same scenario as C-string.

char* pchar = "Hello";
if ( pchar == "Hello" )
{
}

There is only one instance of "Hello" exists in the memory, thus the if statement above would yield true; a common misconception for newbies when comparing C-strings.

When you type in dog(), the compiler will create only one object in the stack for the whole execution of the program. Since OP calls this dog() multiple times in a loop, the constructor gets called multiple times and since this is the same object, it''s the same dog::val that gets incremented.
Advertisement
quote:Original post by alnite
quote:
I guess that when the loop finishes it moves to the next statement and for some reason the last object on the stack hasn''t been destroyed by scope,
And what reason would that be? I don''t think the compiler would do a random stuff like that. One time it would destroy objects and other times it would not.

I think this is the same scenario as C-string.

char* pchar = "Hello";
if ( pchar == "Hello" )
{
}

There is only one instance of "Hello" exists in the memory, thus the if statement above would yield true; a common misconception for newbies when comparing C-strings.

When you type in dog(), the compiler will create only one object in the stack for the whole execution of the program. Since OP calls this dog() multiple times in a loop, the constructor gets called multiple times and since this is the same object, it''s the same dog::val that gets incremented.

I done abit of testing and your wright there, didn''t seem logical to me. I Just don''t see whacky code like that normally so i wouldn''t have known for definate.
I was just playing around trying to find a bug in another program. I found it was was doing back( ) on a queue then pop( ) I shoulda been doing front ( ) then pop( )

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement