• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Steve132

Accumulation Buffer

This topic is 5242 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Anyone know what it is or how it works or some possible uses? Others have also said that it is slow. Is this still true on todays graphics hardware? -------------------------------------- It took me long enough, but now I am finally 16. Yay! Sorta funny, but I am probably the only person on earth who wrote a 3D driving game prior to actually driving .

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
awesome... I''d be interested in that tut...

I''m wondering what pro''s we can take advantage of that the accum buffer provides versus the cost of using it

I read a lil bit after looking around on google, & it appears that that the accum buffer is used to overlay images on top of each other, I guess some sort of blending. is that all its used for?

the accum buffer can be used for FSAA, Depth of Field and motion blur and soft shadow effects.

On anything Pre-DX9 class hardware the accum buffer will ONLY exist in software mode, the DX9 cards however can do it in hardware which makes it alot faster however there is still a framerate drop as you have to render the scene multiple times to do the effect.

You have to render multiple times to allow the images to be accumulated together in someway.

Accumulation buffers are only avalible on top of the range cards at the moment, anything less than that and you''ll get software emulation (dog slow!).

Useful for motion bluring, antialiasing and other effects which require accumulation of image data from numerous frames and/or viewpoints.

Actually accumulation buffer is mostly used for pre-computed pictures, but for real-time applications (like video games) the balance between performance and quality cost tends not to use accumulation buffers especially because most graphics card don''t support it in hardware. Almost everytime, other equivalent techniques can achieve the same effects :
- anti-aliasing : use multisample instead,
- depth-of-field effect : grab the color and depth scene into a texture and use a pixel shader to read back the depth value to blur depending on the distance to a plan,
- motion blur : distort (geometric work) and blend (color work) objects using a vertex shader,
- soft shadows effects : use texture-based shadow techniques, helped with blurring techniques used in depth-of-field effects (except the fact that the blur level is based on a distance to a point instead of a distance to a plan).

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!