Should Random Events Interrupt Missions?

Started by
21 comments, last by Wavinator 19 years, 10 months ago
quote:Original post by Wavinator
Thanks APC, this kind of feedback actually IS very useful, believe it or not.

Just trying ot break free of the loung

quote:
Stealth is a form of standalone gameplay, meaning it's as interesting as combat to steal, sneak around, scan targets, and track or lose pursuers

I have to do this a lot, albeit on a less complex scale, in EV:Nova. Seems I pissed off the Geese dudes and now they're trying to kill me, so if they are about to warp into the system, I better run.

quote:
Ditto for trade: In EV, it's flat out boring. Two cures for this will be free trade, which has a race to port component and volatile goods and prices; and contract trade, which has a E-bay style mini-game for bidding for contracts and the risk of putting up collateral

Also similar to EV:Nova, but I do like the idea of an eBay like minigame. Also, Some sort of system where I could go out by foot and seek out better paying customers would be interesting.

quote:
Ground mode: Hopefully using the same engine for space gameplay, vehicle & person interaction with NPCs that have hidden needs revealed through conversation contests

Now THIS I like. EV kinda pissed me off in the sense that landing was little more than a series of menus. Seemed like a cop out, all things considered.
There's going to be a black market, right? I needs my black market.

quote:
Changing the gameworld by affecting key objects or NPCs
Morale and loyalty development of crew

I see this as being the hardest to implement/potentially annoying. Crew morale will seem good if its high, but if they all jump ship and you're stranded, it'll be more annoying than anything.

New and improved! Yet still under construction.

[edited by - AnonymousPosterChild on June 11, 2004 2:20:26 AM]
With love, AnonymousPosterChild
Advertisement
I think interrupting missions would be great. One way to look at it is when someone asks for something while the player is on another mission that is just more information for the player.

When someone asks you for help you''ll know of a certain event that happened and you may be able to use that somehow to your advantage on your current mission or later on.

Also, maybe you could have a game mechanic made just for this sort of situation. Maybe there could be a way to ask the person the severity of the issue and how long you can wait to take care of it for them.
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
quote:Original post by Wavinator
Okay, having played these games, I have to ask: Why is there so little gameplay that the only thing you have to look forward to is a cool ship in order to fight? Why can’t you fight right out of the gate? Why isn’t there a need for shuttles with cheap guns to fight skirmishes among miners, squabbling homesteaders and up and coming gangs?

Judging from two short psychology lectures, I''d say this is due to a natural human need to feel improvement. Most players just won''t be satisfied by flying a cheap one-laser shuttle killing cheap stuff for weeks on end. Granted, there are people who actually want to do this, but I guess the majority doesn''t. This way, you can avoid a lot of actual gameplay by giving the plaer rewards like bigger ships, better weapons and more explosions.

quote:
And why isn’t trade interesting enough to nearly stand on its own? Why can’t there be treasure hunting? Waypoint based ship racing? Rewards for scanning dangerous areas in the midst of tumultous anomalies?

The thing I hate is that we get this choice between a super-scripted, non-replayable game like Tachyon, where you can’t even leave the base without missions holding your hand, or huge empty worlds without meaning because there’s no story placing you at the center of the universe.

The first step to make trade interesting would be to make a working economy system that is fast enough to actually display a natural looking behaviour, but still slow enough for the player. Some examples:

- Privateer 1 and 2 had some kind of pseudo-random economy that actually worked quite well, the player had the chance to know where to buy and sell stuff at reasonable prices. The price spans were specific to the base types, so there always was a chance at profit. Privateer 2 improved on that with public, not mission-bound events like crop disease that would influence price in a predictable way and gave you a reasonable amout of time to react.

- X2 has a full-blown economy system, but it is waaaay to fast. Large quantities of goods are bought and sold so quickly that the player has little chance of making a good deal. Prices are literally ruined while you''re looking at the menus.

- Patrician has a great dynamic game economy. You have to be on your toes, but it is not as frustrating as X2 because trade volumes are smaller. Also, there are many "side-quests" like multi-part treasure maps, pirate hunts, etc. to keep the player busy. This is probably something you''ll want to have a look at.

quote:
But this goes both ways. If a region is pirate infested and generates alot of pirate encounters, will you find it odd that they’re suddenly quiet everytime you get a mission?

Worse, yet, you could easily use this system to powermax: Take a mission you have no intention of finishing just to get to a lucrative trade area. In pirate infested communities, prices would be sky high due to scarcity. So you just take a mission, the game quiets the encounters, and then you make a killing without any risk—which becomes VERY boring.

That''s exactly the problem I thought of when writing the "time critical" special case. There may be story missions that need not be finished anytime soon. During those missions, it''d actually be OK to have any interruptions possible. E.g. if your "mission" is just something along the lines of "talk to A at station X", there is just no reason to decativate the rest of the universe.

quote:
quote:
It just is not right when you are on a story mission that requires your presence to save someone from an attack and then head off to save some bozo who couldn''t steer around an asteroid.

Right there I see that as a problem: By creating a bozo who couldn’t steer mission, you lose respect for the other NPCs. But what about someone who’s been disabled in a system filled with dangerous fast moving gas and dust? I’ve changed the situation only to see if that makes any difference in how you feel.

[...]

What if the game told you there would be a tradeoff [fulfilling a mission vs. a random event] via dialog / NPCs. For instance, you get a mission to disable a jumpgate before a main invasion force gets through. Skirmishes already dot the system, though. Your mission giver says to you, “Don’t get distracted out there. If you don’t disable that gate in time, this system is lost.” And it would be, the system would change hands if you failed.

The bozo part was just an exaggeration to clarify the situation. If your story design would allow for the loss of "key objectives", then everything goes. But if you have critical missions, you''ll have to signal that to the player, or (s)he will get pissed. However, don''t you think there would be a metric buttload of distress calls in a war area anyway? The whole concept of event filtering is to prevent uncontrolled "the player has left the storyline" situations.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement