Would this be wise?!

Started by
4 comments, last by SirGorthon 19 years, 10 months ago
I''m currently reading Ivor Horton''s Beginning VC++ 6. I got really excited when I got to the Windows programming chapters, but was soon disappointed. The book shifted from "Write your own program" to "Use AppWizard to write the program for you." I strongly prefer writing most of the stuff on my own, rather than using a program to write it for me. I''m debating dropping the Ivor Horton book and switching to Programming Roleplaying Games with DirectX: http://gamedev.net/columns/books/bookdetails.asp?productid=172 My questions are: Am I being stupid preferring writing my own code to using AppWizard? If not, would I pick up whatever I didn''t/should have learned from the Ivor Horton book with the DirectX book?
Advertisement
I''ve been writing MFC applications for almost 8 years now and I almost always use the app wizard. Writing from scratch is a good thing to do once, but unless you have to write an application that is not a common type, then the app wizard makes sense. I use the AppWizard for 3DSMax plugins also.

I don''t mind the AppWizard for stuff like creating or starting the basic project, but the book started making programs without writing a single line of code.
I reuse code, whether its from my own libs or txt files, or from appwizards. But when i try to learn something new, and i''m reading a book about it, and the book starts telling you not to worry about what the code does and just use appwizards, then sorry, no. I''ll drop that book. I prefer to be able to understand exactly what the generated code is doing. Only then, i''ll trust an appwizard.

On occasion a book will have to mention something that will be covered later on. I don''t mind that. But i do mind someone telling me for the first couple of chapters how great the appwizards are. (typical shortfall of MFC books).
___________________________________________________VRAM_Strider."This is the same damn ship that blows panels everytime it is shot, gets stolen on numerous occasions, has next to no security on any of its computer systems, allows almost anyone into the heart of the ship, and places the bridge and all the exec offices on the top of the ship?That enterprise?"
I completely agree with that understanding thing, VStrider.

So do you think the other book would let me pick up whatever Windows programming was left out in the Ivor Horton book?

I know the replacement has C++ primers at the beginning, so I''m hoping it''ll fill me in.
Programming Roleplaying Games with DirectX is a very good book. If you want to program games, it''s a good choice. But its purpose is not to teach Win32. However you will see some Win32 code well explained. I''d recommend you to read online tutorials and the MSDN. That''s how i learned Win32. Win32 code might seem awkward and impossible to learn when you first look at it, but after you read a couple of tutorials you''ll realise that it''s very easy.

Good luck!
VStrider.
___________________________________________________VRAM_Strider."This is the same damn ship that blows panels everytime it is shot, gets stolen on numerous occasions, has next to no security on any of its computer systems, allows almost anyone into the heart of the ship, and places the bridge and all the exec offices on the top of the ship?That enterprise?"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement