OpenGL GUI in C++ - C&C please..

Started by
12 comments, last by HellRiZZer 19 years, 10 months ago
What are all these Nudes, Elements, and Children running around!?!

I was trying to read your tutorials but I lack knowledge of this "XML" You should link to a good XML tutorial that shows the basics. It seems cool, just if you use it so much, make sure everyone is on the same page.

Like someone else said, it needs links at the bottom of each tutorial to get you to the next one.
Advertisement
Nice that you liked my ranting

I learned basic XML by reading this tutorial by Superpig.

1. Great, because if you write a tut about it you've got your back covered.

2. What I meant is, maybe you should skip the whole I/O part of your GUI tuts. Let the user write his own as he wants it. My uses XML, just as you. But how strange it may sound, well to me at least, there are people out there that don't know XML and worse: hates XML.

3. OK, see nr 2.

4. Doesn't have to be much, just put a light on the subject so the reader can write his own I/O for the GUI stuff.

5. If I understood your structure correctly, your text HAS a quad? That was my beef. A static text label is just a text in a position. But if you think everything should be inside a quad, well then OK.

6. Tried MS-Word? Otherwise I could do it for you. I'll just wait for rewrite

7. I didn't mean you should add it, but go ahead. What I meant is, at the end of your tutorial series make sure to point out how flexible your structure is and encourage the reader to write his own widgets. Just give him some ideas to get him started, such as progress bars etc.

8. Great!

Good luck! Post when you've done some changes

}-- Programmer/Gamer/Dreamer --{
I didn't choose to code, coding choose me.

(edit: to many smileys)

[edited by - seriema on June 11, 2004 5:32:09 AM]
[ ThumbView: Adds thumbnail support for DDS, PCX, TGA and 16 other imagetypes for Windows XP Explorer. ] [ Chocolate peanuts: Brazilian recipe for home made chocolate covered peanuts. Pure coding pleasure. ]
quote:Original post by Seriema
2. What I meant is, maybe you should skip the whole I/O part of your GUI tuts. Let the user write his own as he wants it. My uses XML, just as you. But how strange it may sound, well to me at least, there are people out there that don''t know XML and worse: hates XML.

im thinking along those lines too. just stick to gui-coding, if the users wants to save stuff betweeen runs, let him do that. i like xml but in my current project i cant use it, might be similar situations for other people too.

reality is only an option
reality is only an option
I see the point you are making with XML. I''ll go the path you recommend, although I''m not sure if it''s the best way. XML in this part is the most appropriate format (I recon so) since it''s structured, already implemented (no need to use plain text) and is a standard for Web (probably not yet a standard for data storage).
If I would explain to the use the way I store my data, I think they''d rather go the already established way (my way?) than implement a Save/Load. Of course, some may use INI files (similar to text), others may use text/binary files.
I will re-structure my tutorials by simply mentioning that XML is the way I use to save/load data.

And about those ScrollBars, ListBoxes, etc - good idea to mention. I''ve already done all of them (Progres/Scroll bars, Listbox, radio group, no textbox yet).

About text - yes, the text must be inside the quad, otherwise what''s the point of seeing text you aren''t supposed to see (and scrollbars as well)? I''m trying to re-create Windows controls in OpenGL - funny, eh, Windows running OpenGL window with Windows-like controls?

Thanks everybody.

" Do we need us? "

Ionware Productions - Games and Game Tools Development

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement