Space Gadgets (Weapons)

Started by
156 comments, last by Cannibal_Coder 19 years, 9 months ago
Quote:Original post by The Shadow Nose
Tractor mines- highly explosive mines that lock onto the enemy with a tractor beam and pull themselves towards it.

Now this I like. It's such a nasty surprise. A good counter would be simply firing on and destroying the mine. Maybe more advanced versions pull themselves faster.

Quote:
Shield drainers- a mine that attracts itself to a ships shield and drains the energy from it. It must use a secondary weapon to release the energy or it will stop functioning. It also needs to attune itself to the frequency of the shield.

This is so funny, I just added something like this. Cheap version A softdocks onto the shield and bleeds energy away in a plasma streamer (which will look cool if you get multiple on a single target).

Expensive version B, however, comes armed with a super-cooling laser that fires at enemy targets.

This one requires you to drop your shields and shoot it or to have the type of shields which you can shoot through.

Quote:
Nanowebs- a nanotech mesh that sticks to the hull of a ship and slowly leeches material from the armor and grows like a fungus. Its powered by energy fields and creates alot of electromagnetic static. If left for too long it messes up the ships sensors and makes it highly visible on radar.

Very nice. This one will be easy to add.

I was also thinking about monomolecular webs that shear off weaker components of your ship, like antenna or fuel tanks, too. They would be easy to destroy by laser or missile, but you could have fighters flying dragging it toward an unshielded cap ship.

Quote:
GunGum- nanotech goo that sticks to a ships hull and oozes into a weapons barrel to clog it up. depending on the amount of goo and the size of the gun barrel.

Haha! Now this is super cool, especially if I can animate this silvery blob crawling along your ship. Maybe this is an animated texture overlay like battle damage. But I can imagine the player's response the first time they see it... "what in the HELL?!?!?!" "Sir, our guns are jammed by some sort of nanite-based adhesive." I like that.
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
Advertisement
Nicola Tesla invented a gadget which, when attached to a solid object, would begin to hit it with a piston. Not hard hits, just continual. An operator could, by remote control, adjust the frequency until the target began to resonate. Shortly thereafter, the target would shatter. Tesla suggested that such a device attached to a major support inside a building would destroy the building in very short order.

Since some of the ideas here involve mines/limpets attaching to the hulls of ships, why not something like this?
If you made a railgun or coilgun that got rid of recoil in the same way that anti-aircraft guns do, the velocity of the projectile, and therefore the damage it causes, would be reduced quite a bit.

This would happen for two reasons:
First of all, part of the force that was acting to push the projectile forward is now just pushing the barrel backward.
Secondly, the projectile would be in the barrel for a shorter length of time, which means that the magnets would have less time to affect a force on the projectile.
I am the master of ideas.....If only I could write them down...
Quote:Original post by Tesseract
Nicola Tesla invented a gadget which, when attached to a solid object, would begin to hit it with a piston. Not hard hits, just continual. An operator could, by remote control, adjust the frequency until the target began to resonate. Shortly thereafter, the target would shatter. Tesla suggested that such a device attached to a major support inside a building would destroy the building in very short order.

Since some of the ideas here involve mines/limpets attaching to the hulls of ships, why not something like this?

I like it! Gameplay-wise, how do you think this should handle? I'm thinking that if something like this attaches to your hull, you have a limited amount of time before it drastically reduces your hull or armor points (by half maybe-- 100% would be too harsh).

(Maybe I should call this thing a Tesseract Mine? ;>)
Quote:Original post by Nathaniel Hammen
If you made a railgun or coilgun that got rid of recoil in the same way that anti-aircraft guns do, the velocity of the projectile, and therefore the damage it causes, would be reduced quite a bit.

This could be a strategic tradeoff that you see on big guns, which I have no problem with.
Quote:Original post by Nathaniel Hammen

I presume you mean by having the barrel slide back, with springs or hydraulics or something to slow it down? Actually, that wouldn't really "get rid of" the recoil, it would just reduce the shock of it to the firing ship. All the momentum of the sliding barrel must eventually be transfered to the ship that it is attached to (otherwise it would just keep sliding out the other side of the ship), so the ship still gets pushed back with the same overall force as it would if the barrel were mounted solidly.
Of course, by reducing the muzzle velocity you do indeed reduce recoil, but the same thing could be achieved by simply using less power (making the damage vs recoil tradeoff a tactical decision rather than a design decision).
You are not the one beautiful and unique snowflake who, unlike the rest of us, doesn't have to go through the tedious and difficult process of science in order to establish the truth. You're as foolable as anyone else. And since you have taken no precautions to avoid fooling yourself, the self-evident fact that countless millions of humans before you have also fooled themselves leads me to the parsimonious belief that you have too.--Daniel Rutter
You know, slow ships like those based on solar sails and ion engines could still be useful in this game :) You can't compare them to sailboats, we're in space, where there is no friction - so while they accelerate very slowly, they can work continuously for years without burning any fuel, which eventually pays off since they end up reaching massive speeds. Other kinds of propulsion

are similar to the space shuttle: they fire a huge burst, but only for a short time. So a long distance trip with the usual ship engine would start with a big burst that sets the velocity for the rest of the trip, while a solar sail would be constantly accelerating. This doesn't mean that solar sails are fast, some advanced propulsion systems like fusion engines and such should be much faster. But these ships could be used extensively for transporting goods because of their low initial cost and maintenance cost, and also because they don't need the high maneuverability that other ships have. So you could see a lot of traders using them, and trader players could find them useful as well. Low-tech cultures could use chemical rockets like we do instead ;)

You know, you have SO MUCH options for your weapons, that I'm surprised why you didn't try to find a way to make them "standard", so that they're easier for you to manage and more easily customized by the player. You won't lose a lot of CPU power if you simply have a "projectile"

object that can have a number of attached modules just like a ship. I guess that beams and plain bullets could be handled using a more lightweight approach, but this would be tremendously useful because you can have rockets, torpedoes, mines, drones, and ships all in the same package. Ok... here's a rough sketch, I know there's a lot more (but I'm pretty sure that it should work ok with everything you want for your combat system)

- Casing: This can determine the modules that a projectile can have depending on the size. You can't have a crew inside a regular rocket :) It also determines the hull strenght.

- Launch: This is the part of the ship that launches the projectile. Missiles and torpedoes could benefit from the extra speed that a module like this provides, but it's not needed since they already have their own propulsion systems. Mines don't need it, fire-and-forget missiles with no propulsion (a.k.a. bullets or slingshots, but now they can carry extra gadgets) would definitely need it.

- Main propulsion: A single engine propelling the projectile forward. Different modules with different speeds and such. Some projectiles wouldn't need it.

- Trajectory correction: Could be some simple fins for atmosphere combat, but in space the only way to turn the projectile would be with some extra propulsion systems.

- Control: Advanced AI for a drone, crew and cockpit for a fighter or kamikaze torpedo/fighter. Missiles, rockets, etc, would have different modules according to what they want to do with the target: simply chase it, some more advanced stalker systems, and then the weird stuff like circling the mother-ship or the target, for attack or defense drones.

- Targetting: Different ways to acquire the target, like heat-seeking, visual recognition, etc. If there's a crew, this is like their radar.

- Payload: The thing that explodes on impact. Simple rams that rely on their mass don't need this, others could have explosives or more exotic payloads.

- Generic systems: Modules that are don't fit in the other categories and are continually activated. This could be shield generators in a missile to protect sister missiles or to protect a fighter, weapons for drones, fighters, and torpedoes with defense mechanisms, etc. Some could require a propper control module.

Hmm... maybe regular ships could be simply a projectile with some extra stuff :) The more you blur the lines, the more customization you'll get. I know I'd have a special torpedo fitted with everything I can think of just in case I find myself in trouble ;)

BTW, you should be careful with some of those exotic weapons. Creating a black hole inside a star system would not look pretty, and imagine what would happen to a planet, not to mention nearby ships, if you had one of those wedges made of planes with the gravitic force of a neutron star :p I mean, gravity attracts stuff. And something so massive that it can crush a ship's hull would have very negative effects on anything else for a few million kms.
Oh BTW, about the Tesla hammer: I always thought that those seismic charges in Star Wars were sooo cheesy cuz anyone who attended the 10th grade knows that earthquakes don't propagate in space (seismic waves can only move through matter). But now they have a chance if you use these hammers right. They can add a new level of mechanics to your game because, the thicker and stronger a ship hull is, the more it would be affected by the hammer (because the propagation is proportional to the density of the material). Basically, now you have a weapon that does % damage to hulls =) This could be a weapon of choice against strong opponents to wear them down when their armour is high. It's very likely that a weapon like this would have a lot of improvements that we can't think of, so you could have high-tech hammers that do almost 50% damage to a ship (I hope you're trying to keep the levels reasonable :) ). This is really cool and it creates interesting gameplay dynamics.
I could be wrong by I belive that a device like the tesla hammer, utilizes sympathetic vibrations to destroy objects. Essentailly the it causes the object to resonate and shatter so essentailly, it would be more of timer device, once it attaches to the hull it will take X number of minutes before the hull completely shatters, depending on the durabilty of the hull it make crack before shattering. But essentially it would be an all or nothing type of weapon, either its able to completely destroy a ships hull/armor or it destroyed and caused no damge what so ever.

You could include it but that it would really be more of an exotic weapon rather then an everyday one.

Speaking of lamprey type devices, what about thursters? Simple disposable robotic thrusters, that attach themselves to ships and generate thrust for as long as they have enough fuel. The effect depending on where and how many you mange to attach would be either, moving the ship in another direction, causing it spin, or creating hull stress by having parts of the attempting to move in diffrent directions. Could be useful after all its hard for the enemey chase or attack you if the thruster drones have spinning like a top.

You could even combine thruster drones with cutting drones, to attempt steal pieces of enemy ships mid battle. Think of the fun of sending your drones at an enemy ship and laughing as the tear the armor plating right off the ship and return it to your cargo hold.
Quote:Original post by Jotaf
You know, slow ships like those based on solar sails and ion engines could still be useful in this game :) You can't compare them to sailboats, we're in space, where there is no friction - so while they accelerate very slowly, they can work continuously for years without burning any fuel, which eventually pays off since they end up reaching massive speeds.

I'm with you on this. Low-tech is solar sails, laser sails, ion drives, Orion nuclear explosion powered ships, and self-consuming hydrogen (?) ships (can't remember if it was hydrogen or something else, I'll have to look this one up in my Starflight Handbook).

Since these ships are sublight, you'll find them among primitive cultures and as interplanetary bulk shipping barges. Anything that "definitely, absolutely has to be there overnight (TM)" :P goes by FTL.

Quote:
You know, you have SO MUCH options for your weapons, that I'm surprised why you didn't try to find a way to make them "standard", so that they're easier for you to manage and more easily customized by the player.

Ummm... I'm confused. Did you want to see more detail for customizing missiles / torps / rockets, or did you miss that part of the post?

Quote:
BTW, you should be careful with some of those exotic weapons. Creating a black hole inside a star system would not look pretty,

Well, it's more of a baby black hole than a full grown monster. And it's used as a WMD against planets by empires, the idea being that you fire it into the planet on one side and it comes back out the other, orbiting tightly around the core. The tech is such though that the blackhole isn't sustainable, only good for seismic disruption and destroying cities for a short time. It can't eat a planet because the blackhole eventually evaporates.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement