Framerate demo

Started by
2 comments, last by AndyL 19 years, 10 months ago
In that other thread about assembly, I off-handedly mentioned how easy it would be to make a demo showing that 30fps isn''t really enough to make the movement of a hard edge appear "smooth". Then I realized that I''ve got nothing better to do, so I tossed one together from the NeHe basecode. It''s pretty ugly, but it gets the point across : http://www.skizzers.org/andy/projects/framerateDemo.zip You can use the [+] and [-] keys to speed up or slow down the movement. The 30fps square is noticably jerky even at relatively slow speeds. It''s too bad there''s no efficient way to give fast-moving objects a soft edge like a movie camera does. That would be ideal.
Advertisement
render at 90 frames per second, blend the last 3 frames together, and update the monitor at 30fps.

The reason you get it with cameras is because the film constatly exposed meaning that bright light keeps hitting it until the next slide is hit. the above should achieve something similar

Also, the above effect is achievable using the accumilation buffer, which is FINALLY being implemented in hardware by graphics card vendors.
You might be interested in Hardware Accelerated Motion Blur Generation.
You should never let your fears become the boundaries of your dreams.
Quote:Original post by _DarkWIng_

You might be interested in Hardware Accelerated Motion Blur Generation.

Ooo. Thank you. This is interesting.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement