• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Player_0

.DAT or some other compression

This topic is 5218 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I''m new to windows programming and game making. Opengl is my API of choice at the moment. I dont know if this matters for my question or not but any way... I was wonderng where can you store your textures when you release a finished program. I think .dat is one file format, I cant think of any others I''ve seen right now. My question is: how do you put your textures/movies/etc into these file formats then read from them. If anyone can point out an online tutorial on this it would be great but I''ll appreciate any info I can get. Thanks. -Player_0

Advertisement
If your just starting out, i wouldnt rush right into trying to make something so difficult from the start. If your hell bent on learning id suggest possibly the .PAK format, both quake2, and half life use them, they are quickly accessed, but not for lighthearted programmers. You could try creating your own format, just create a structure to hold the # of images, and their lengths or something, and use bitmap files.

If you want to learn about the pak format, try http://www.wotsit.org/ , and search "pak", there are other formats as well, i havent looked too deeply into it, but they shouldnt be too hard to find. Good luck.

Edit: .DAT files dont really have a format, thats just something people (including myself), just give a file an extension of to store misc. data, i usually rename wav files and images into .dat so that dimwitted michevious users dont edit them, but thats just me.

---------------------------------------------
"If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside."

[edited by - SilverLogic on June 10, 2004 5:52:18 AM]

The Allegro programming library supports compressed .DAT files, but SilverLogic is right, .dat is just a generic name used for data files, they aren''t all the same format.

Mark

.DAT can be anything. You''ll need to be more specific.

The most common use I''ve seen is VCD (MPEG-1) files.

Kami no Itte ga ore ni zettai naru!

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!