A Programming Game =)

Started by
7 comments, last by Axiverse 19 years, 10 months ago
Hmmm... I wonder if this is a first.... But here''s the idea: Build a Application that is one of those Platform fighting games, the game will control physics, etc. The point of the game is for each player to personally design his own character and it''s AI and such... And battle off against others using the application and minimal input commands... [Hmm... I wonder where this idea come from...] Do you think this will go anywhere? and suggestions? Currently I''m thinking Managed code, so players can write their own dll''s, but if this projects gets somewhere maybe a script would be better to prevent mischievious activity... Also how probable do you think a "Learning system" and a "Personality System" is?
Advertisement
quote:Original post by Axiverse

[Hmm... I wonder where this idea come from...]

gamedev arena pehaps?
______________________________________________________________________________________With the flesh of a cow.
Actually it''s from cartoons, animes...
(The new Megaman, Angelic layer, etc...)
I think it would be cool. I have been toying with that idea but it doesn''t encourages me enough to make it.

Remember to make some rules so the gameplay can be balanced, but also to give enough tools to give variety.

And my idea wasn''t quite like yours, it was more like, you make your character physically(as a general rule here Bigger = Stronger but also a bigger target), you make his posibles normal moves(using some sort of scripting languaje, and give no free advantages, every posible move that the player can create has to have a weakness), the posible special moves(can only be invoked by the player, the more special moves you make for your character the less normal moves you can have. 1 special = 3 normal moves or something like that), AI(throught some simple scripting languaje), and a set of things that the player can type to make the character do something, like a special move.

Tournaments and awards would be nice
It''s not a fundamentally new concept - see C-Robots and Corewars.

Only difference in your model is the type of simulation.
For such a game you''d have to thing about your target market. The typical gamer would not want to write and tweak code, there would have to be a easy-to-use interface. If you could make it graphical and accessable, then I guess it would be quite fun...

------------------------------
There are only 10 kinds of people: those that understand binary and those that don''t.

Bad Entertainment

------------------------------

There are only 10 kinds of people: those that understand binary and those that don't.

Hahaha... Target Market.... It''s just for fun... mostly a learning of physics, collision, etc. If it ends up good, the audience will probably still be small [programming community =) ] and most likely it will be free...

I hoping to integrate these "free moving" figures into future games maybe...

One of the things that might cause problems in a multiplayer enviorment is syncing... Since there will be alot of computations (and randomness if AI uses randoms...), multiplayer might not be very practcal...

And yes, if it goes somewhere, then it will have a more general interface... (with templates) but it will still be modifiable for the more ''serious'' gamer.
It''s already been made by someone and posted on the news page twice. I think it''s also a nehe creative contest entry, not sure if it supports online multiplayer gameplay though.
Oh well... hmm... I never check the news anyways... my link is to the fourms... =)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement