• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Arrummzen

Beep via DirectSound

This topic is 5185 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Is there a quick easy way to beep via DirectSound? I tried making a call to the beep function in Kernel.dll, but its not async. Is there an async beep function in direct sound? Thank you for your time, Arrummzen

Advertisement
You can use the Playsound API which is async. If you just use the default sound is the "beep" sound of an "error"

Thats easier then using directsound even

I ended up microwaving a pizza, so I just recorded the microwave beep as a wave file and im using it.

EDIT: Will I get into truble if I distribute the microwave beep sound I recorded? Is it the intelectual property of the microwave manufacter or something?

Thank you for your time,
Arrummzen

[edited by - Arrummzen on June 10, 2004 2:44:31 AM]

quote:
Original post by Arrummzen
EDIT: Will I get into trouble if I distribute the microwave beep sound I recorded? Is it the intelectual property of the microwave manufacter or something?
No. Unless you have some fancy-pants microwave that plays a melody or some such nonsense... Most microwave ovens simply emit basic frequency beeps - 2kHz, 2.5kHz, etc. You could create identical sounds with any rudimentary DSP chip (we used something like that in an acoustics lab I remember doing in 1999).

Ok, good. Its just a standard "Beep Beep Beep" microwave. I just wanted to be safe =) .

Thank you for your time,
Arrummzen

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!