• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This topic is 5070 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

My coding team is attempting to make a compiler for a new programming language called C3 (see-third or see-three) based on C++. Any suggestions? [Edited by - Yohomyth on July 3, 2004 9:51:54 PM]

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
ROFL. Try some *other* languages. They can be better than C++ in ways you could never imagine.

quote:
Original post by Yohomyth
C++ is my favorite programming language, but there are still many things about it that can be better. For example: I would rather use a . than a :: or ->. What do you think?

Har har. I think you should check out c# =)

I''m not saying I want to switch to another language. I just posted this to get everyone''s opinion.

-----------------------------------------------
Here comes the Thnikkaman!

quote:
C++ can be better...
Duh.

As for opinions on improving C++, there are at least two multiple-page threads where opinions are detailed at length. It''s tiresome. Search for them, using either GDNet''s search tool or Google with the site:gamedev.net qualifier.

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by Yohomyth
I''m not saying I want to switch to another language. I just posted this to get everyone''s opinion.
You should try out other languages to truly know what is flawed in C++. Some few random opinions here shouldn''t be very interesting or useful to you. And something like needing to use ., -> and :: is a triviality, which I wouldn''t even call a flaw.

I am in a high-school, computer profile and my old teacher said that c++ is old(!), so we would switch to C# for our senior year. 10,11th grade we were at C++. What do high-school teachers know about modern programming anyway?

Every language has shortcomings and oddities. I use C++, Perl, and Java on a regular basis, Java being my least favorite. In modern languages'' attempts to make programming safer, I feel like they''ve succeeded in nothing more than putting the programmer in a straightjacket. Just MHO...

Biggest thing I would like to see in C++ is protection level as part of the name mangling.

right now if you had a

class temp
{
private:
int this_is_private;
public:
float this_is_public;
};

you can just by changing the header get access to a private member.

class temp
{
public:
int this_is_private;
public:
float this_is_public;
}

I think thats bad. This should have been though of but wasn''t.
Its not a big issue because most programer don''t change headers supply to them but they do have that power.

If protect level was part of mangling then the 2nd class couldn''t find a public int this_is_private because the class in the library won''t have one.

If I create a class put it into a library release the lib and headers I would won''t others to so easy change class so they can get access to data memebers.

Lord Bart

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!