C3

Started by
331 comments, last by Yohomyth 19 years, 8 months ago
quote:The most obvious being, of course, automatic garbage collection, but others further complicating that.

I''ve heard of automatic garbage collection, but what is it?

-----------------------------------------------
Here comes the Thnikkaman!
------------------------------------------------------------"Many combilations elizagerth. I hope you see my particles." - Senor Cardgage
Advertisement
i my opinion, its the little suff your required to do in C++ thats makes it easier in the long run. For example, the ending of every line of code with a ; makes handling some if statements easier. Just stuff like that makes C++ easier, and this coming from a guy whose first languages were LibertyBASIC and BlitzBASIC. but there''s a catch: Only when you''ve fully grasped the concepts of C++ will you start to see thats its intricacies, like ending all your lines with a ; are wht make it easier in the first place

Simple.

In C++, if I have a function that looks like this:

Object* MakeAnObject(bool WithThisParameter){    return new Object(WithThisParameter);}

There is nothing that is guaranteed to free the newly allocated memory. In short - you get a memory leak.

You don''t have that issue with garbage-collected languages, because they automatically free any memory that''s not being used ("dead" objects).

It''s a decent idea, but it takes a way quite a bit of flexibility (though, granted, it''s more of a speed concern than a flexibility one).

---------------------------Hello, and Welcome to some arbitrary temporal location in the space-time continuum.

quote:Original post by Etnu
Simple.

Object* MakeAnObject(bool WithThisParameter){    return new Object(WithThisParameter);}

There is nothing that is guaranteed to free the newly allocated memory. In short - you get a memory leak.

You don''t have that issue with garbage-collected languages, because they automatically free any memory that''s not being used ("dead" objects).

It''s a decent idea, but it takes a way quite a bit of flexibility (though, granted, it''s more of a speed concern than a flexibility one).

I love garbage collection. However, I don''t like most of the languages that come with it.

Not giving is not stealing.
quote:Original post by Yohomyth
What the hell? I started this topic to get ideas to help my friend who is attempting to make a compiler, and it''s turned into a place for people who think it would be evil if C++ was a little easier.
Based on one reply out of 32? You sure are sensitive.

By the way, if your friend is really trying to make a compiler, tell him not to make "an improved C++" compiler but to create a compiler for a better language altogether. It can still be as fast (or faster!) as C++ if you add the right features like type inference and real macros.

quote:
Original post by Andrew Russell
C++ is so great because it isn''t bogged down with the unnecessary.

Heh.
you can try to take a look at D. It is sort of such a cleanup of C++, wich tries to save the goods of C++ as well.

just for some inspiration.

If that''s not the help you''re after then you''re going to have to explain the problem better than what you have. - joanusdmentia

davepermen.net
If that's not the help you're after then you're going to have to explain the problem better than what you have. - joanusdmentia

My Page davepermen.net | My Music on Bandcamp and on Soundcloud

If only all our programs could be in Lua...heh

Try structure and interpretation of Computer Programs and give scheme a try. There is a free Java Interpreter and a free compiler.

Scheme(and Lisp) lacks some in the readability department(how much is a hotly contested issue), but the power is second to none. Continuations and Syntax redefining macros are 10x anything available in C/C++/C#.

For language discussions try here and here.
quote:Original post by Etnu
Simple.

*potential* memory leak. It''s the programmer''s responsibility not to leak memory.

quote:

And if you mistakenly hold onto references that you no longer need, you leak memory in Java as well.

It''s all about programmer responsibility.

I never claimed that garbage-collected languages are perfect; I just pointed out how they work. Personally, I find that there are other advantages with Java (or C#) that make it the preferrable language in many ways to C/C++ (for CERTAIN TASKS), but that''s beside the point.

---------------------------Hello, and Welcome to some arbitrary temporal location in the space-time continuum.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement