• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Haytil

DirectX crashing every other time

This topic is 5127 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m having an problem with the program I''m working on. It uses DirectX 7 for graphics. Every other time I run it, it crashes within seconds of running. It will work one time, then stop the next. Then work again, then stop again. Then work again, then stop. Literally, every other time it runs it crashes. But the other half of the time, it runs perfectly. When it crashes, the desktop comes back to the screen, and the program becomes un-responsive (you can''t go back into it). After a few seconds, the dialog box asking to "End Now" the program comes up, and another window askign to send a Microsoft Bug Report appears. This problem only happens on this computer. I''ve run the same program on other computers, without this problem. What exactly is going on? Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to fix this problem, or find out more about it? I can be more detailed about specifics regardign the program and the computer if necessary. Thank you for your time. -Gauvir_Mucca

Advertisement
Yeah, you need to figure out which line the problem occurs. That will probably answer everything.

It sounds like your program is minimizing rather than crashing. Vice City sometimes didn''t take full-screen when I ran it (had to click on it to throw out the desktop).

Could be in your window class setup.

Maybe the first time you run it, you acquire a resource (like the display adapter) and then never properly release it. Then the second time you run, this causes a crash which ends up releasing it.

Of course I''m being just as vague as you were since I have no further information to go on.

Regards,
Jeff

[ CodeDread ]

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!