• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

i can not understand it

This topic is 5007 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

i am just beginner in open gl i read almost beginner''s lesson i find it in the net and i can not understand whae i use it. and i don''t know they using for what all what i know about it glMatrixMode(GL_PROJECTION);// Select The Projection Matrix glMatrixMode(GL_MODELVIEW);// Select The MODEL VIEW glLoadIdentity();// Reset The Matrix Mode that''s all i know about them -i am sorry for my bad english- ff8

Advertisement
If your using the nehe.gamedev.net tutorials, they may be a little confusing at first without some knowledge of C/C++ and the Win32 API.

Check out the tutorials at: http://www.winprog.net, that will teach you a little more about some functions and structures involved.

If your still having problems, consider using GLUT in the meantime.

The GL_PROJECTION matrix is for setting up the projection mode. There are two: perspective and orthogonal projection. Perspective projection will be set using the glFrustum() or gluPerspective() functions. gluPerspective is a bit more intuitive and easier to use for beginners. Orthogonal projection will be set up using glOrtho(). For gaming you want to user perspective projection, I think.

The GL_MODELVIEW matrix is for setting up the object transformations (translate, rotate, scale). With glLoadIdentity() you will reset the matrix with the identity-matrix (even the projection matrix, too).

thanks all for answer me but why we use glLoadIdentity();
after glMatrixMode(); i don''t know what you mean from "reset the matrix with the identity-matrix "
i want example

OpenGL''s matrix are 4x4 matrix. If you use glLoadIdentity after glMatrixMode(GL_MODELVIEW); your model/view matrix will be

1 0 0 0
0 1 0 0
0 0 1 0
0 0 0 1

That is to say that your objects will not be translated, rotated or scaled before transformation and rendering.
I suggest you to read some maths about matrix transformation. For example http://www-scf.usc.edu/~akotaobi/gptut.html in three dimensional Graphics section

Plotark

mmmmmmmmmmmmm
i understand it

when i use glLoadIdentity(); after glMatrixMode(GL_MODELVIEW);
the matrix will change to
1 0 0 0
0 1 0 0
0 0 1 0
0 0 0 1
that''s mean i cannot translated, rotated or scaled before transformation and rendering when i use it after glMatrixMode(GL_PROJECTION); what would the matirx change to?

some lessones the wrote you can make your own matrix how?

The matrices will be accumulated each time you perform a transformation. For example:

void Render() {
glMatrixMode(GL_MODELVIEW);
glLoadIdentity();
glTranslatef(0.0f, 0.0f, -1.0f); // matrix M1
glRotate(45.0f, 1.0, 0.0, 0.0); // matrix M2
glScalef(0.5f, 0.5f, 0.5f); // matrix M3
glutSolidCube(1.0f);
}

This will end up in a accumulated matrix like

P = M1 * M2 * M3

The calculations will be made from right to left. So the cube will first be scaled by half each axis, then rotated by 45 deg. around the x-axis and finally translated along the negative z-axis by 1.0f.

• Advertisement