• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

johnnyBravo

Iam trying opengl after using directx for a while, what to choose

This topic is 5219 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I''ve been recently using opengl, i love its method based system over microsofts directx classing ways. But i am having a hard time finding things like loading meshes from files, index buffers, using matrices in it, eg in direct3d you just call them and times them together but in opengl i have no idea whats happening you are calling rotate, transform methods. What im getting at is what do people believe would be better learning? eg keep with directx where i can use meshes,index buffers,vertex buffers, matrices,transparency, 3d sounds, mp3s,inputs-keyboard,mouse etc, or go with opengl, openal/ogg vorbis etc where i believe these are more slimline then directx, eg coding wise. I am split over the two, i just get verry frustrated at learning new things in directx, but i get frustrated at opengl because i cant yet use what i know in directx, ive gone through 1-10 of nehes tutorial in opengl and still got a patchy idea of whats what, but there is a larger amount of resources in opengl then direct3d/x

Advertisement
quote:
Original post by johnnyBravo
things like loading meshes from files...

OpenGL does not provide functions for loading meshes from files. It does not have this inherent idea of what a model is, or its own IO routines.

OpenGL is for graphics, it doesn''t do non-graphics related operations.

I guess the same general argument applies to your other points.

Mark

Hey,
I write helper classes for DX and OpenGL to make my Engine independant of the two.
Oh and they can both do the same:
Use VBO''s for OpenGL thats the same as VertexBuffer/IndexBuffer in DX.
Use View3ds for the models if you want a quick way like *.x in DX. View3ds creates a header and binary file, which automatically creates a display list for you.
Matrices are just as easy.

-CProgrammer

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!