• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

robinei

"Wobbly" shading

This topic is 5243 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Here is a quick terrain thing I did, with goraud shaded polygons. It's a 1025x1025 mesh stored in a quadtree. The problem is that the shading "wobbles" when I move the camera. Can anyone give it a try and explain to me what it is? Is it just a problem with goraud shading that will go away when I use textures? Edit: Ugg no remote linking.. Just go Here and then click the link. And you may have to turn arount to face the terrain. [edited by - robinei on June 10, 2004 9:47:43 AM]

Advertisement
It crashes for me . Does it require anything special to run? I am on my laptop at work so I don''t have great graphic capabilities.

dimebag

I tested it out this morning (but didn''t have time to reply), and on my GeForce FX 5200 I didn''t see any abnormalities. No wobbliness or anything with the shading. It looked like the shading was based on the height of the vertices, and it stayed constant the entire time I was wandering around. I''m using Forceware 61.32 beta drivers, BTW.

--Buzzy

Hi,

can''t try it out right now, because my machine is booted into linux and doing some extensive compiling.
But I have an idea what could cause your wobly shading.
Could it be that you are using some form of LOD scheme? If so, lower lod-levels will also drop you vertices that contain shading info (normals and after T&L shaded color information).
Maybe some form of low-res normal-map with per-pixel-lighting will help.

Jan

Runs REALLY slow on my machine, 3.2 GHz; Radeon 9800 Pro.

It was so slow that i barely could turn at all or move for that matter. odd itsnt it....

[edited by - Mulligan on June 11, 2004 12:53:37 PM]

Holy can barely even run that thing it''s so slow. And it''s merely goraud shading! I cannot walk around a level at 3 seconds per frame!

It runs fine on my machine, speedwise

P4 @ 2.4 Ghz
768 Mb RAM
GeForce 4 Ti 4200

However, I DO see some shading wobbling, but only when the shaded portion is ~90 degrees, if that helps.

I''ve got a Geforce FX 5900 and its run perfectly. The shading doesn''t change or anything. Looks good, silky smooth FPS.

My only complaint is that you should handle the SDL_QUIT event so you don''t have to use the task manager to end it.

Esc will quit too..

Wierd that it''s slow for some of you. I get acceptable speeds on a Duron 900 with a Geforce4 Ti4200. Did you all have ATI carts who got bad fps?
Strange anyway. It''s just a bunch of VBOs preloaded into VRAM for each patch. Then only a glDrawElements call to render each patch(GL_TRIANGLE_STRIPS).

Why the shading is only wrong for some people eludes me too.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!