Hungarian Notation - no longer necessary?

Started by
85 comments, last by paulecoyote 19 years, 10 months ago
I use a ''lite'' version of this. Scrap the C for classes, but the m_ for members, the sz for strings - etc.

I even use this in scripting, when things are typeless. Mainly because it helps me figure things out.
Advertisement
quote:Original post by Oxyd
Also - if you see
if (time >= 1.0) ...    
then it is clear, that ''time'' is a double.
It''s also clear that the programmer is a novice, given that floating-point values shouldn''t be compared for inequality in any fashion. Use an epsilon instead.

quote:Original post by dmikesell
Was it ever necessary in the first place?
Yes. It''s roots lie in assembly programming, where type doesn''t exist. It was a mnemonic device, if you will, to indicate the usage of variables - not type. That''s where everybody got mixed up, and where it became useless. Type changes over time - see the various obsolete Win32 prefixes, for example - but usage is fairly consistent.

Today, without significant identifier length limitations (some old assembly source files allowed only 16 characters per line), usage can be indicated through intelligent variable naming. With our fancy IDEs today (and if you''re not using an IDE with IntelliSense-type features, you''re a masochistic moron), type information is available on hover. Throw in good comments and other code refactoring practices, such as reasonably-sized code blocks, and Hungarian notation is completely unnecessary.

I''ve been programming for eleven years. I''ve never found it necessary. Caveat emptor.
I think some of the posters have been lone-wolves... perhaps never being thrown in to a situation where you take over another engineers code that didn''t bother to comment, document or perhaps have any standards at all. Then you do have the luxury of coding however you like, because you are likely to understand what you did...

Thing about alot of engineers is that they expect someone to know why i = j + k * cop; might be there with no explanation; Where i could be a local variable, j a class (or module) and cop an extern import.

This happens ALOT in real life - some one retires or leaves a company and someone has to keep maintaining the product.

So Hungarian Notation did have a place, and still does depending on language. It''s place in the likes of Java and C# seems very limited though.

I must say I am suprised about the anti-feeling that''s around to it right now, back in university a few years ago I''m sure it was encouraged by some tutors.
Anything posted is personal opinion which does not in anyway reflect or represent my employer. Any code and opinion is expressed “as is” and used at your own risk – it does not constitute a legal relationship of any kind.
No, I''ve worked in a large project. The fact was it was one that mostly used classes and STL templates. HN was woefully inadequate for describing their stuff, as you''d usually have the same damn prefixes everywhere, and they wouldn''t tell you much.

So, we did our own, simplified HN, and just said "give your variables friggin'' long informative names". The important ones were pointer, if a basic type then use the type names, if a class use class, and if an object then you''ve gotta be informative in the name. And we had to make new ones for all the STL containers (vector, hashmap, etc).

HN is a good idea, but using it "as is" is unfeasible.
-- Single player is masturbation.
Well I will say that I was greatful for hungarian notation when I was tracing through a coworker''s inter-language glue layer written in C++ that had C, Fortran and C++ strings in one routine (example: szName, sfName, and sName). It made it easy to figure out that the problem was not at that layer.
---CyberbrineDreamsSuspected implementation of the Windows idle loop: void idle_loop() { *((char*)rand()) = 0; }
quote:Original post by paulsdsrubbish
I think some of the posters have been lone-wolves... perhaps never being thrown in to a situation where you take over another engineers code that didn''t bother to comment, document or perhaps have any standards at all. Then you do have the luxury of coding however you like, because you are likely to understand what you did...
Completely orthogonal to the discussion. What is a good idea and what you are required to do at work are mutually exclusive, though occasionally coincident, concepts.

quote:I must say I am suprised about the anti-feeling that''s around to it right now, back in university a few years ago I''m sure it was encouraged by some tutors.
It''s called the Tipping Point. Eventually an idea - good or bad (good: Hungarian Notation is now redundant; bad: "low-carb lifestyle") - gains enough steam that it begins to force the hands of others to some extent, even if they don''t necessarily agree (a morally ambiguous example: women''s low-rise jeans - some like it, some don''t, but it''s hard for women to find stylish jeans with comfortable waistlines).

I think that about covers it.
It''s getting a lot of flack in this thread so I thought I''d offer it a little support. Brace yourselves...

I use Hungarian Notation.

if (time >= 1.0) does not necessarily imply that the variable "time" is a float. Sure, it had ought to be, but for what little trouble it is to type "f" or "d" before the variable name, I think it''s worth it. Though there is effectively no logical difference between

if (iTime >= 1.0)

and

if (fTime >= 1.0)

there are instances when it would be useful to know what each one is...if you''re working with the code and need to fix something. I think we can all imagine a situation in which we might need to know the particular type of "time" (or whatever) before we do something. Even if we can determine the type on the fly, it''s it irreverent?

But hey, with fancy IDEs, good comments, and good memories, maybe it''s not necessary at all. I seem to remember writing BASIC code (on an Apple IIe when I started programming, 13 years old?), I only used variables named with one or two characters, and always I created and used them in alphabetical order.

int A
string B
int C

And I didn''t use comments, subroutines, or really anything other than GOTO. I don''t think I even used "if". What''s the point of complex variable naming when you don''t use "if".

Peace, all.
Hunagrian notation may be useful if you''re passing undocumented code back and forth between people, but I comment my code extensively anyways.

Also, for beginners, hungarian notation is a nightmare. I remember staring at lines of:

LPCSTR lpCmdLine;
int m_Integer;

And wondering what the heck everything was supposed to do. Typedefs and defines are fine, if they are very obvious:

GLbool Boolean;

Is fairly obvious, but beginners would seize when trying to decode ''LPCSTR'' and stuff. The ''LP'' for Long Pointer also got me when I was working with DirectX, because I couldn''t figure out why I had to use -> instead of . .

-- Fyhuang, president, Altitude Technologies

Altitude Technologies: http://www.hytetech.com/altitude
Altitude Forums: http://s8.invisionfree.com/Altitude_Forums/
- fyhuang [ site ]

Personally, I have found that it's more valuable to use variable notation to express the scope of variables rather than their types.

For instance, it is pretty obvious that NumPlayers or PlayerCount is some type of integer, that PlayerName is some type of string, and that IsPlayer is some type of boolean, so hungarian notation IMO becomes redundant if you name your variables descriptively.

I do, however use the following notation:

m - for member variableg - for global variablex - for function parameter - no prefix for local variablesp - for pointersC - for classes 

Take the simple example of an accessor function that sets the value of a class member:

void CSomeClass::SetSomeInt(int xSomeInt){	mSomeInt = xSomeInt;} 

I can immediately tell that I'm setting the object's copy of SomeInt to whatever value was passed in externally without referring to the definitions of mSomeInt and xSomeInt. Notating in this way gives me a hint as to how long those variables will be in memory, and what other code has access to them, without having to go back and look up how they were defined.

[edited by - EvilSteve on June 10, 2004 3:01:39 PM]
Indeed, I agree some small ammount of notation is handy.

I use the prefix of "in" for all incomming function variables, "t" for temp variables within a code block, "m" for member variables and "g" for the exceedinly rare occasions I have globals.

I see no need for pointer identification.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement