ship physic

Started by
4 comments, last by fredrik90 19 years, 10 months ago
I making a game about ships in the 17th century.So I wonder what kind of physic do I need to calculate wind and drag in the water and stuff like that. C++ coder
Flight-Real leader
Advertisement
I don''t have an answer for you, but I do know that the book ''Physics for Game Developers'' (I think that''s what it''s called - the one with the cat and mouse on the front) has a section on ship physics.
Most things like drag usually just have a coefficient tied along with with. For wind drag I''m pretty sure it''s something like this:

Fdrag = CdragV2 where V is the velocity and Cdrag is the drag coefficient. I''d imagine it would be the same for water drag.
ok. thanks.
Flight-Real leader
quote:Original post by Samith
Most things like drag usually just have a coefficient tied along with with. For wind drag I'm pretty sure it's something like this:

Fdrag = CdragV2 where V is the velocity and Cdrag is the drag coefficient. I'd imagine it would be the same for water drag.

You're forgetting the density (rho) of the medium being moved through:

Drag = 0.5 * Cd * Rho * V^2

[ed] oops forgot 0.5 *

[edited by - aph3x on June 11, 2004 8:10:15 AM]
Hi,

You will need to take the shallow water effects into account as well as sail aerodynamics ( not as straightforward as it seems but lots of emprical info is available ).

regards,

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement