• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DirectDraw 9?

This topic is 5005 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Is there a DirectDraw 9 in managed DirectX? I thought 7 was the last version but then I looked at some examples for 2D with managed DirectX 9 most of it was DirectDraw.I know you can acess old versions of DirectX from newer ones but I looked around some more and it seems DirectDraw was supposed to be in 9, not sure if it''s true or not. Can anyone post any tutorials or articles on using it if it''s true?

Advertisement
It isn''t really DirectDraw... It is just a way of using D3D to do a 2D looking scene. There are tons of tutorials and samples on the web, just try google...

quote:
Original post by Sr_Guapo
It isn''t really DirectDraw... It is just a way of using D3D to do a 2D looking scene. There are tons of tutorials and samples on the web, just try google...

No. The DirectDraw exposed in Managed DirectX is a managed wrapper around DirectDraw7. There are no updates to DD7, the wrapper is provided since it''s the only way to expose DD to Managed DX users.

Converting any non-managed code to managed should be fairly trivial. And there are plenty of tutorials and books available on DirectDraw.

Stay Casual,

Ken
Drunken Hyena

Well that''s not too good. I heard DDs use is frowned upon because it''s dated. That was the only thing that wasn''t very slow for C# or any thing .net for that matter.

How much people actually use it nowadays?

Guest Anonymous Poster
Well I this was one of the post from here about DirectDraw 9.

quote:
>I''m sure I read somewhere that DirectDraw was returning in DX9.

The functionality is returning, not the interface.

He basically said that there won''t be an interface named IDirectDraw9, instead you''ll get access to 2d functionality ( methods and such stuff ) in the new IDirect3D9, IDirect3DDevice9 interfaces ( like FlipToGDISurface, for example, and similar GDI integration )

It seems to deal with Direct3D. So if I use those things will I have to deal with 3D math or setting up 3D in 2D.

quote:
Original post by Unidentified
I heard DDs use is frowned upon because it''s dated.
Eh, maybe a little. What''s more important is that most modern graphics cards are highly geared towards doing 3D accleration, not 2D acceleration (yes, you could get ''2D accelerator'' cards at one time). Plus, DirectDraw''s featureset is pretty pathetic compared to Direct3D - it can''t even rotate/scale your sprites.

quote:
That was the only thing that wasn''t very slow for C# or any thing .net for that matter.
Unless you''re comparing it with other 2D-only things (like GDI+) then that''s definitely not true; under C#, Direct3D runs at about 95%-98% the speed it does under C++.

quote:
How much people actually use it nowadays?
Most people use Direct3D with Textured Quads or ID3DXSprite, as explained in the Forum FAQ. One might use DirectDraw if one wanted to support really quite old hardware.

quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
Well I this was one of the post from here about DirectDraw 9.

Rich is referring to DirectX9 as a whole. There is no DirectDraw9, there is only DirectDraw7 and lower. If you are not using Managed code, the only way to access DirectDraw is by using the DX7 interface or older.

The DirectDraw exposed by .Net is merely a wrapper around the DX7 interface. It it not a DX9 interface. It was included in the DX9 package because there was no version of Managed DX before 9, so they exposed the DX7 interface.

Hopefully I''ve stated the same thing in enough different ways that it makes sense to everyone.

Stay Casual,

Ken
Drunken Hyena

• Advertisement