• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Looking for free Java IDE

This topic is 5067 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m looking for a good free Java IDE. Right now I''m using JCreator, which has many features that annoy me and doesn''t pop up with a list of available methods when I put a . after an object name (a feature I cannot live without). Can someone recommend a good IDE? I suppose I would even be willing to pay for one if it isn''t too expensive and it''s much better than anything you can get for free.

Advertisement
netbeans is free from sun and is great to start off with. Supports ant, has a form designer and lets you do web stuff too.
http://www.netbeans.org/downloads/ide/

Netbeans can be a bit slow but is feature heavy. A few people will no doubt suggest IBMs Eclipse - but that''s a bit harder to get going sometimes - and I don''t think form designers are as easy to come by and encourages use of non-sdk form widgets.

Eclipse is my favorite Java IDE, really speeds up development. Just make sure to dload a stable version and you should have no problems

All very good suggestions. Let me add some.

JBuilder is very nice and in edition 10. Very powerful. The personal edition is free (check Borland's site).

JCreator is a very good IDE without any bells and whistles. But what it does it does extremely well. Probably the best for newbies in Java. To get the intellisense feature of JCreator just buy the pro version it costs almost next to nothing.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

[edited by - rohde on June 10, 2004 3:00:39 PM]

[edited by - rohde on June 10, 2004 3:01:40 PM]

Eclipse - it''s definitely the best. Not just the best free one, the best one altogether. Its advanced features (particularly geared towards refactoring and rapid development) are unparalleled; perhaps it offers less for the novice though.

What there isn''t is any kind of GUI builder. The stable version does not (to the best of my knowledge) include a debugger. But what it does do, it does very well.

Mark

Guest Anonymous Poster
I would have to say Eclipse. Its one of the best IDE''s i''ve used.

That above post was me. I thought I was logged in. Wierd login system here.

Cry Havoc and Let Slip the Dogs of War!!!

I prefer NetBeans over Eclipse. I am not too experienced with Eclipse (only used it occasionally for specific purposes), but I don''t think there''s a GUI form editor (maybe not available in my version) like the one in NetBeans. Overall, I find NetBeans easier to navigate around than Eclipse.

• Advertisement