• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Leslie

Where to start?

This topic is 5151 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Im 18 and im just doing my A levels and am set to go to University in september to study a 4 year maths degree. The thing is im beggining to have doubt as to whether this is what i want to spend my whole life doing. After much thought I realised that Game art sounds like a much for fun prospect but i have no skills in art whatsoever so the question is where should i start. I''d like to be looking at fantasy game art rather than sport, shoot em ups, strategy but any help or direction is appreciated

Advertisement
Go to a two-year art school. They don''t require any artistic background and will teach you the basic principles of drawing, etc - which are intuitive to "natural artists" - and help you to find your own style. And you can transfer from there, after obtaining an associate''s degree, to a four-year college, go on to a master''s or just get a job. My last roommate has a two-year degree from the Pratt Institute in New York and currently works for a firm in Brooklyn creating high-profile banner ads for movies (he did Kill Bill: Vol 2 and told me there''d be a Vol 3 long before it became an open secret).

Good luck!

I meant more like self taught because at the moment im not in a position to cancel my maths degree, so i really was looking for something to work on so that after my degree i'm not starting from square one but i have a headstart.

[edited by - leslie on June 10, 2004 2:40:05 PM]

Traditional art is important there. Drawing from life.
If you have the chance take life drawing courses.

There are great resources for learning.
Conceptart.org - Tutorials
Conceptart.org - Middle Class
Conceptart.org - Sketchbooks
Sumaleth's Link Archive

So I'd recommend:
-Learn how to draw
-Learn the art theory basics (perspective, composition, color theory ...)
-Draw, draw, draw ...
-as you get better learn how to paint
-Paint, paint, paint

Oh and the standard recommendation for people who think they have no talent whatsoever:
- Talent is overrated
- Read Betty Edwards "Drawing on the right side of the brain"

Maybe try to get your hands on the Andrew Loomis books
Online version at fineart.sk

---
If nothing works the way it should ... maybe you need a break!?
Get cracking and double-check the switch statements!!
Tolop|Andyart.de

[edited by - Clueless on June 10, 2004 3:14:05 PM]

Why spend four years of your life on something that isn''t what you want to do?

To answer the question, though:

1) Draw a lot. Draw things from life, draw things from other people''s drawings, draw things from your head.

2) Get a 3D program and play with it. Wings3D might be a good start. It''s just a modeller, but it''s a good modeller, and it''s free.

3) If you want to be an animator, buy "The Animator''s Survival Kit" by Richard Williams.

Everyone has doubts about his future, especially when making an important decision. Everyone. I think the best is you try both, if you have that chance. Math are also a wonderfull universe to discover and university a completely different world. Try both, then you''ll have better cards to make the right choice...
good luck!

hey..kindaof a question related that i always wondered...
Art...I always thought of like drawing ..something your either good at..or bad at..some people can draw..some people cant..I was always one that couldn''t..

can you learn how to draw..like good? or are good drawers..just born?

Speaking from experience of doing something in college, then going on to do something else...

I went into college with the expectations of being in the Radio business. I found later that I did not like the lifestyle, and went into programming.

Moral of the story, if you do end up getting a Math degree, it doesn''t have to stop you from doing something else that you might find you enjoy later in life more than Math.

-Dan Joseph

kag1: There is definitely such a thing as talent.
Some people do get better by "just drawing". Most people don't.
There are certain exercises that can help.
There is theory that can help.

In drawing on the right side of the brain Betty Edwards shows how people can learn how to draw by learning how to see properly.
A big part of that book is about the scientific background ... how the brain works.
Basically you build up a library to draw from. That can be a problem.
That is why many people don't improve at all. They draw everything the way they drew it when they were children.

You need to learn how to draw what you see.
And if you don't want to stick to drawing from life or reference ...
then you'll have to build up a new/better library.

I tried to collect some stuff for the middle class.
Stuff you can try

Check out the sketchbook section ... it is amazing how people improve there.
Van for example:
Van's Sketchbook
Just compare the early and the later stuff ...

Oh and another good one:
Lung Bug's lesson

Bargue drawing is a great exercise that teaches drawing what you see.
And all people who go to ateliers seem to kick ass after a while.

---
If nothing works the way it should ... maybe you need a break!?
Get cracking and double-check the switch statements!!
Tolop|Andyart.de

[edited by - Clueless on June 11, 2004 12:58:54 PM]

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!