• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

networking with sockets luvin'

This topic is 5094 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

before I dive head first into my first network programming book, I just had a quick question. if a first wrote a client and server, but without the facilities to communicate with one another, could I then upgrade the two with networking features with minimal effort? Or do these ''sockets'' play integral roles throughout the architecture of a program thus insisting that they be included/written simultaneously with the rest of the program? I''m trying to save woman-months! sara

Advertisement
I think it depends on the scale of the project. I''d recommend writing a simple server/client chat/game app so that you could better appreciate where and how the netowrk code interacts with the rest. It''s certainly possible to leave holes in the architecture of your application, but I''d say it''d pay off to design it from the start with the network functionality in mind.

Incidentally, there is a networking forum herer that you might get some more attention in. Which book are you learning from? Cheers.

The general rule of thumb is to separate implementation from presentation. So theoretically your network code should be independent of your graphics layer and your logic layer and so on.

Your game shouldn''t be DEPENDENT on having a working network layer, but if you''re making a mmorpg or something then I can see how having a solid network base would be important. You should still be able to develop the logic and network separately then integrate them.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!