• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PartyOmNi

Air Trafic Control in Java

This topic is 5240 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I want to write an air trafic control game in Java, and I have been reading up on Java. The problem is, I don''t quite understand multithreading and what I would need to include. I have done some research and found out that these are some of the objects (threads) I would be needing. 1. Air Craft spawn by user input? how many? emergency / non-emergency planes? i.e... low fuel, airforce 1.. 2. Control Towers Approach Control (control 100miles x,y,z) Ground Control (plane to runway) Departure Control (speed, magnitude...) Runway Control (Landing or Departure) 3. Runway maybe 2 runways to start? Land / Departure control I have no clue on implimenting these objects using multithreading. I have a fairly solid background on C++. What would I exactly need, and how do I impliment it? Thanks for taking your time to read this ...

Advertisement
STOP!!

You don''t need to use multi-threading to make a game in any language!!! It adds processing overhead and ALOT of complexity you don''t need.

Just use objects.

There certainly are times when multi-threading is useful, even necessary in game development. I''m not seeing this as one of those times though. Perhaps you would like to explain why you assumed that you should multi-thread this program?

Agree with the others with respect to multithreading this.

Anyhow, I used to be a Controllers in the military and civilian side, so if you wanted any pointers with respect to rules and regulations feel free to ask, AIM in profile.

Realistically, what you often have is a ''Local Controller'' that handles departures and arrivals. It depends on the complexity of the airspace and volume of the aerodrome. The most typical airport will have a Ground Controller handling, as you are aware, ground movemements, a flight data position for coordinating aircraft times etc, and the local controller which often handles aircraft landing/departing as well as his active traffic pattern around whichever runways(s) are active. The smallest controlled terminal airspace is 5 mile radius, 2500 feet AGL.

Thank you very much for all of your kind replies. I want to work with multi-threading for a personal reason (to understand multi-threading). Besides that, there are no specific reasons. However, I am very aware that JAVA is very useful to create multi-threading, so I am trying my best to study it. Thank you for the simulation of an airtrafic Controller, it helps out lots.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!