• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Yet another book question! =)

This topic is 5093 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Im looking for a book that teaches programming (perferablly games, but not needed) that will actually take me through the steps of creating a ''full'' project. Many of the books that I have looked at have chapters setup and build a bit on the previous concepts, but usually end up showing examples from projects that are unrealted. Is there a book that will go through and when I am finished I will have a full working application/game? I haven''t been able to find any, but most of the books I see advertised here and that others talk about have to be ordered, so I don''t get a good idea if they meet this requirment.

Advertisement
I suggest "Game Programming for Teens" by Maneesh Sethi. This book teaches in the venacular of Blitz Basic but could be adapted to any programming language of your choice. The first half of the book teaches you Blitz Basic but the second half starts an actual game that you will eventually build up to - that is what you want. It teaches you about aesthetics, getting your model, and movement. Next it teaches you about collisions and interaction; then the book teaches you about AI and putting it all together.

I would say, IMHO, this is a pretty good book to invest in, and even if you don''t program in the language it shows it in, it is a good book for theory.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!