Help with: combining c++ with Blender

Started by
3 comments, last by Arcule 19 years, 10 months ago
Hey, I am making an adventure game - much like Syberia and Longest Journey, in game play. I am using C++, to code, and graphics software to make background and object pics. I want to take it one step further and make a 3d world with sprites using Blender - a 3d graphics program. The difficulty I''m having is that I can''t figure out how to merge the two. I can''t decide if the sprites are drawn by code (ie. as polygons in directX or OpenGL) with the backgrounds bmps or jpgs, OR if the game is coded in Blender, OR some other method all together. Can anyone help me out? Arcule
Advertisement
If you''re talking about making a full 3D game you can make the models for the game with Blender. You will need to get a script to export the models to the .x format used by DirectX if that''s what you plan on using.
You will need to make textures for the 3D models and UV map them. You can make the textures with the Gimp, a free 2D art program and map them with Blender.
You then write all the code with C++.
Do a search for "export scripts" at the Elysiun forums to get the free export script for blender.

====================================
The worst thing about mistakes is explaining it to my wife.
My site, with some new content!
Okay, that definitely helps Wolfmanyoda.

but how about levels/worlds... ie. if the story takes place within a house, and I design the house in blender... does the same apply? do I make the house a .x file and code for it in DirectX?

how about animations? Should I make them in blender, or are they render in the game on-the-fly?

thx in advance
Arcule
Yeah, all of your models will be made in Blender or any other 3D modelling app and exported as a .x file.
With use of C++ and DirectX you will write the code that loads, displays, and manipulates the models in your game.

====================================
The worst thing about mistakes is explaining it to my wife.
My site, with some new content!
If you want really massive levels/worlds, you should consider a BSP/portal engine, which Blender currently cannot export to. However, for small worlds, you want to break up your world into small meshes and export those individually.

-- Fyhuang, president, Altitude Technologies

Altitude Technologies: http://www.hytetech.com/altitude
Altitude Forums: http://s8.invisionfree.com/Altitude_Forums/
- fyhuang [ site ]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement