• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sir Sapo

Using DirectX?

This topic is 5300 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ok, I bet you all have heard this a lot before , but I didn;t know what to search for so I will ask it again. I have downloaded the DirectX SDK and I am using Dev C++ as an IDE. What do I have to do in order to be able to use DirectX in a C++ program?

Advertisement
(1) Read the DirectX documentation
(2) make Dev-C paths point to the SDK folder
(3) type the right #include statements in your .cpp source
(4) make calls to DirectX in your .cpp source
(5) compile your game
(6) wait for 283 "undefined identifier" errors
(7) go back to step (1)

I''m using DirectDraw 1.0, will be jumping to DX 9 soon enough, don''t go too fast....if you are 15 take your time, I am 38 so I have to hurry

VazGames.com

Phil P

You need specially created libs to use DX in Dev-C++ I believe (because MSVC and DevCpp libraries arent compatible).

http://www.bloodshed.net/dev/packages/index.html

here''s a package to install DX8. You''ll have to dig a bit deeper for DX9 though.

Wow , this got confusing fast. So if I am using Dev C++ i need to get a special SDK or just special .libs and stuff? Also , is DirectDraw different from DirectX or is it a built in feature of DirectX? Because I couldn''t find anything related to it when I installed the DirectX SDK.

You can download the dx9 package with the update utility in dev-c++ select tools->Check for Updates/Packages. There's also a few other nice packages there for allegro and sdl if you want to try them out...Oh and DirectDraw is deprecated so there isn't any documentation of it in the sdk you are using you should still be able to use it anyway, just install the package and you should be ok.

[edited by - NullPointer33 on June 11, 2004 4:03:17 AM]

As NullPointer33 said, DirectDraw is now obsolete. But it still works with DirectX 9 (DirectX is built on COM, and one of the basic principles of COM is that all interfaces should work, even old obsolete ones).

You can find the DirectDraw documentation in
\Extras\Documentation\DirectX7\ddraw7.chm
(you did download DirectX 9 extras, right?)

First of all, learn your IDE(Dev-C++) and your compiler(GCC).
If you''re familiar with C++, then you can start learning DirectX.
I think it''s best if you first learn DirectDraw before Direct3D, cause it''ll be easier.

VStrider.

quote:
Original post by PhilVaz
I''m using DirectDraw 1.0, will be jumping to DX 9 soon enough

There isn''t that much of a difference between the two interfaces except some extra parameters and ofcourse their implementation which you won''t see anyway.
Don''t waste time with ddraw 1. Get DirectX 9 SDK and always use the latest interfaces (for DDraw it''s 7).

VStrider.

I wish people would stop using directdraw. I fear that in 10 years time when DirectX 19 is out people will still be asking DDraw 7 questions here about alpha, blt-ing and rotating sprites.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!