explain me Enginuity's design

Started by
0 comments, last by osh 19 years, 10 months ago
Hi! I ask you to explain me second half of engine design in Enginuity series. I need to know what is the difference between app state and gamestate. Author said that going to menu would be app state change, but what use gamestate to than? My idea was that, say I have GTA-like game (no I don't do GTA-like game, it just fits my example), taking the car would change the gamestate from 'walking' to 'going by car', am I right? And how to manage and when to setup c/s system? Will be c/s updates part of appstate task, completly new task(one for client, one for server) or something diferent? Thx P.S: If you explain me app/game states use further, I would be pleased. [Edited by - osh on June 27, 2004 3:16:54 AM]
Advertisement
Say you have a multiplayer game, where 6 players walk around a room shooting and picking up things.

The room, the players, the objects on the floor, those are game state, part of the game. The server has the master list/tree and updates the clients with changes.

If a player presses escape and brings up a menu and changes his mouse speed, the menu and the local settings are data that belongs to that player only. That''s the app state. It''s private to this client only.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement