Normal for vertex, possible?

Started by
3 comments, last by ThunderMusic_80 19 years, 10 months ago
Hi, here''s what I would like to know: is it possible to calculate a normal for a vertex? and does it have any use? thanks ThunderMusic
ThunderMusic
Advertisement
you can normalize a vector and get a unit vector (unit normal ), but that is not a normal vector .

a unit vector(or unit normal) is a vector of length 1. So if you normalize a vector you''ll get a unit vector that has the same attributes with your vector but has a length of 1.

to calculate the unit vector u from a vector v:
u = v / |v|

a normal vector is a slightly different unit vector. its perpendicular to a plane . Since you need at least 3 points to define a plane, you can''t define a plane if you just have 1 vector. So you can''t calculate the normal of a vector.

VStrider.
___________________________________________________VRAM_Strider."This is the same damn ship that blows panels everytime it is shot, gets stolen on numerous occasions, has next to no security on any of its computer systems, allows almost anyone into the heart of the ship, and places the bridge and all the exec offices on the top of the ship?That enterprise?"
Yes you can. You take the average normal of all faces adjoining the vertex and renormalize. It''s used for lighting vertices in a "smooth" manner, since using face normals for lighting gives a "gem stone" sort of effect.

"Most people think, great God will come from the sky, take away everything, and make everybody feel high" - Bob Marley
"Most people think, great God will come from the sky, take away everything, and make everybody feel high" - Bob Marley
thx Paradigm Shifter for correcting me. Obviously I still have lots of things to learn on 3D graphics.

VStrider.
___________________________________________________VRAM_Strider."This is the same damn ship that blows panels everytime it is shot, gets stolen on numerous occasions, has next to no security on any of its computer systems, allows almost anyone into the heart of the ship, and places the bridge and all the exec offices on the top of the ship?That enterprise?"
Thanks a lot.

ThunderMusic_80
ThunderMusic

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement