A unique (hopefully) magic system idea....

Started by
61 comments, last by Solthar 23 years, 8 months ago
I''ve got a similar idea I''ve been working on (View it here)

One new idea my system has that you may want to consider is variable effects. Specifically, the exact same spell formula will work somewhat differently based on caster, target and environment. This keeps newbies from picking up spells off the internet. They could kill themselves using someone else''s successfull formula. Mind you, this isn''t random, and experienced players will learn how to modify existing spells for their characters over time.

Pax
p
Advertisement
I personally don''t think that people will want to post their spells... well, some will. But I don''t think the majority will. Most people will probably want to hoard their new-found spells to themselves and friends -- ESPECIALLY if they are very powerful spells or spells that took a good bit of time to discover.

The thing I keep thinking of is the spellbook of some archaic mage ... a veritable treasure chest of knowledge. It would be a lot like in the DragonLance series and the books of Fistandantilus...

Another cool thing that could come of this magic system is customizable defense systems for peoples'' valuables. Traps and such... a mage could set up a customized spell or set of spells to protect his house. Very neat...

- SantaClaws
I like the trap idea... Hmmm...

And about darkside - it's idea is almost so close to mine that is is frightning! perhaps we could pool resources, pax? Only true difference is that I make my sytem a bit more complex with the idea that for each sphere (you call it 'atoms') there are an arbitrary amount of aspects, so an air sphere spell can do anything from blow an object to electrocute it

Edited by - Solthar on August 22, 2000 1:55:49 PM
-----------------------------"Beware the programmer with a screwdriver..."
Effect and power of a spell is determined by the player's mastery of the according sphere, correct?

Also, with the traps ... you could have a property for the spell that determines when it is triggered -- immediately, a delayed time, or when something happens to the object it is targeted at.

For instance if you cast the spell on a sword, you could give it an on-equipped trigger, so that when the user equipped the sword, the sword would shock them or something. With some modification you could add some nice item/equipment protection spells ... its discouraging for someone to steal your stuff if they know it might cause their hand to rot away.

- SantaClaws

Edited by - SantaClaws on August 22, 2000 2:04:20 PM
Effect is determined by player, power by sphere mastery/level. Interesting idea about triggers though - never thought of that...
maybee add something like this...

TRIGGERTYPE contact //radiussmall, radiuslarge, radius, equip, ..
TRIGGERACTION quickexpand // slowexpand, verticalcolumn, shockwave...

Edited by - Solthar on August 22, 2000 3:00:48 PM
-----------------------------"Beware the programmer with a screwdriver..."
Just remember - KISS, anyways, the spell combos will make it to the boards, just checkout planetdiablo and you can see that they are keeping a list of things you can use the horodic cube to make. Also, based on the numerous walkthroughs for games out there on the net you can expect to see recipe lists. Also, remember that if you have too many spell combinations with a spell effect for each resulting combination, plan on targeting a 128-bit 50,000mhz CPU and a 1GB Ultra Ultra video card as your baseline system because your artist will be at making those effects for a while.
When I said spell effect I meant the... um... (taps his brain, "Work, damn you!") ah, size of the effect?? A friend and I were talking about the system and thought that there would have to be some sort of precaution against characters creating enourmous complex effects for a small stupid spell... example:

Bob the Wizard is getting hungry. He pauses, raises his arms, and utters a long string of arcane syllables. Meteors start raining down from the skies, and a giant comet crashes down nearby. When the smoke clears, a giant crater sits in the ground, and in the middle: an apple.

Hehe.

Whirlwind: I would expect that a large amount of the effects could be generated using a particle system implementation in OpenGL or something. That way the users could customize their effects and its no extra work on the part of the artists.

- SantaClaws

Edited by - SantaClaws on August 22, 2000 3:31:21 PM
I was thinking of using something similar for my sorcerers in my game Runemaster (not in Athalon, though).But here''s an idea I just had :
How about this - when the player creates a spell he must not only research, he also has to find some components for that research.Fors simple spells this would be easy -eg a mandrake root.But for powerful spells he''s have to go on a quest to find, say, some ancient scrolls.These quests could be randomly generated by the PC according to the spell''s power and type.

Runemaster
Join the Game Developers SiteRing !

The Specular Lightosis Research Fund
-----Jonas Kyratzes - writer, filmmaker, game designerPress ALT + F4 to see the special admin page.
Ah ,another idea.I think not all options hould be available in the beginning."Fall from sky" for example could only be used after you''ve got 400 skill points at magc or something like that.There should also be special rare items like a "Scroll of Channeling" or something that allow you to add special effects to your spell, but only once.Imagine how sought after they''d become...a kind of legend, that would add to atmosphere.

Runemaster

-----Jonas Kyratzes - writer, filmmaker, game designerPress ALT + F4 to see the special admin page.
Sorry for the typos but my fingers hurt.

Runemaster

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement