Overlay Demo

Started by
4 comments, last by WitchLord 19 years, 10 months ago
I have been testing out your overlay desktop demo, and find it very well put together. I do have a simple question I hope. What would it take to make a directx or opengl version of this code to display a simple rotating box instead of the static on the screen?
Advertisement
What would be different from your normal DirectX or OpenGL program is that you need to copy the rendered scene to the overlay surface. This would require a lock on the render target, a slow video-to-system memory read, a conversion to the pixel format of the overlay surface (often one of the YUV), then a copy to the surface. Of course you would have to set up DirectX/OpenGL to render to an offscreen buffer without affecting current desktop.

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

Well dispite the resource hog it might be.
I would love to learn how you could do it.

Now forgive me for the newbee question on this, but maybe just a simple code exmaple of how to have the overlay demo load or display a simple box or even a image.

The static is great, but attempts to have it do a simple task of displaying a square or just a image instead of the static has failed.

Would anyone be willing to create a snippet to show me how it would be done?

P.S.
You know you have the only working exmaple of this on the net I have seen...
I would love to create a sample that does that, but I'm hard pressed finding time to work on AngelScript, so I'm afraid that you'll have to turn to someone else for that.

I will still be available for answering questions though.

To have more people regarding your question I think you should post in the DirectX forum.

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

I understand.
The basic file I wanted to try to incorprate was a very basic direct3d code at
http://www.cplusplus.com/src/direct3d.zip

The replies in the other forums I have gotten were "Just use active desktop"
But that just does not work for doing this in a direct 3d or direct draw enviorment.
What are you planning to do with the program? If you're doing it just for fun I'd say go right ahead. But if you want to learn how to do it order to something special with afterwards you might want to reconsider. You'll soon find out that overlay surfaces and the way they work are widely different from card vendor to card vendor. Some vendors may not even support overlay surfaces at all, others may not support destination color keying, etc.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement