Voice Over Net

Started by
3 comments, last by WebSpyder 23 years, 8 months ago
Has anyone really tried VON or Voice Over Net technology?? What do you think? I''m still stuck in tar with my 56k modem so i haven''t bothered to try it. I know Game Commander is a good communicator and Microsoft just came out with their Sidewinder Voice Commander or something like that. What do you people think about VON? Personally, if it becomes easy enough to use and clear enough to understand (if it isn''t already...) it would make squad games a hell of a lot easier, more fun and less frustrating (DUH). But would it also take away some of the challenge? Let the world know what you think. ****************************** "I do not fear computers, I fear the lack of them" - Isaac Asimov Drew Sikora Napali Networks, Inc.
******************************"I do not fear computers, I fear the lack of them" - Isaac AsimovDrew SikoraNapali Networks, Inc.
Advertisement
It''s a good idea for coordination but, for me, mucks with immersion. In AvP it was always a bit disconcerting to hear the voice of a 13 year old speaking on behalf of a colonial marine... oh well...

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
quote:Original post by Wavinator

In AvP it was always a bit disconcerting to hear the voice of a 13 year old speaking on behalf of a colonial marine... oh well...

*dies laughing* Gee, that''s one aspect I never thought about!! I think that would make me laugh so hard I''d lose the game Hmmm.. maybe some advances in voice-overs could lend a masculinity factor... (btw - no offense to the young gamers).

"I do not fear computers, I fear the lack of them"

- Isaac Asimov

Drew Sikora
Napali Networks, Inc.
******************************"I do not fear computers, I fear the lack of them" - Isaac AsimovDrew SikoraNapali Networks, Inc.
Actually i was just think before that if you can get voice recognition working in games then you could practically get rid of the need for hotkeys. In online games voice recognition could be used instead of having to hit the macro button.

It''s not hard to set a synthersyer (good spelling) to a microphone so that sound come out differently. I think it''d be excellent!!

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!
A friend of mine uses Roger Wilco while playing Asheron''s Call on a 56k modem and says it works great. You can also try Game Voice at http://www.gamevoice.com

What is kind of funny is how phone companies and Net Phone companies expect people to pay for Internet phone services and yet there are many free voice services for use with games. Go figure.

Glen Martin
Dynamic Adventures Inc.
Zenfar
Glen Martin
Dynamic Adventures Inc.
Zenfar

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement