• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GayleSaver

Image (Memory-Mapped) Files

This topic is 6623 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was wondering...do you think Windows'' memory-mapped files (including your executable file and DLLs) are an advantage over other architectures? In my opinion, memory-mapped files are extremely important to any system. Not only are they easier to access, but also as an added benefit they can be randomly read from or written to without worrying about performance and extraneous function calls. The only disadvantage I''ve discovered is their fixed size property - you cannot resize an MMF without closing its handle and using standard Windows functions. Nevertheless, the MMF is, IMO, a very powerful tool. One other reason MMFs are useful: they permit based pointers and data (such as static or global variables in Windows programs) without much effort on the developer''s part and without wasting space or time. What do you think?

Advertisement
Firstly, you speak of the feature as if other operating systems don''t have it available. This isn''t true. The function mmap() is widely available for this purpose for developers to use from within their own projects, but I don''t find it in Visual C++, as it happens. Only on other OSes... Check here for documentation.

I also don''t see what your point is regarding the static and global variables.

And I should also point out that the flat and shared nature of the ''dll space'' in Windows is known to be one of the primary reasons why the 3.1/9x line of OSes are not so stable as Linux, etc.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!