Can TB be RT with pausing?

Started by
11 comments, last by Wavinator 23 years, 7 months ago
quote:Original post by draqza

This may be slightly off what you mean, but a couple of years ago Lords of the Realm II was released by Sierra. It had a mix of TB and RT styles...

Yeah, they essentially had a TB game with RTS battle resolution. I was looking more at the individual battles themselves.

The main problem is this: The more detail you have, the simpler all your units need to be. This simplicity drives away TB players (and drives me nuts, really). So I was looking for some sort of compromise during the battle.

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
Advertisement
I always thought that for something to be considered Turn Based it would have to include some sort of "Time Currency" like Action Points or Timed Commands and Instructions?! There always has to be some sort of floating value for an action, yes?

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!
Paul-

In the RTS/RPG I'm working on, I'm trying to find a way to "funnel" (sp?) the unit orders down from "command center" which would take place infrequently, and be done through menues, more or less (planning on disguising them as objects in an HQ office), down to a squad level on the actual "battlefield" where more general orders would be given before the fighting actually starts, down to a unit level, where the player would control a single unit for the majority of the playtime. That's where the hybrid would take place. In a long, drawn-out firefight, the player could choose to regroup his men (there would only be 1-8 or so at any one time) and reissue orders if a change in strategy is called for. The player would have to draw back into a kind of "safe haven" to do this, and its mainly in place because with so few units, and little control over the other units when you hit realtime, a small mistake in unit AI could be devastating and really get the player's panties in a bundle. So, there's no "Action Points", since the "turns" are as long as the player wants them to be. In a simple engagement, it may only be necessary to give orders once, at the start, and let the AI take over the rest.

If you see the Buddha on the road, Kill Him. -apocryphal

Edited by - Anonymous Poster. on September 3, 2000 1:40:13 PM
If you see the Buddha on the road, Kill Him. -apocryphal

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement