OUR Doc - The future of RPGs

Started by
125 comments, last by dwarfsoft 23 years, 5 months ago
I have been considering Barter, but as yet I have decided not to implement it. I was thinking more of credits or paper money to some extent (like a cheque) - or it could be funny if the character could have a "magic" credit card that they swipe past a crystal... Only kidding...

Anyway, I think that gold actually gives the player more of a sense of accomplishment... But I will write up Barter anyway

-Chris Bennett of Dwarfsoft - Site:"The Philosophers' Stone of Programming Alchemy" - IOL
The future of RPGs - Thanks to all the goblins over in our little Game Design Corner niche

Advertisement
OK, I have been writing up another framed HTML version of the doc. Instead of having the whole doc in one long file, the sections are broken up. It looks a lot like Voodoo4''s but it is a little quicker to load, as it only needs to load the smaller chunks of the file. Expect to see it up here sometime in the next few weeks (if not over the weekend).

Anyway, additions to the new section will be:

Keep posted

-Chris Bennett of Dwarfsoft - Site:"The Philosophers' Stone of Programming Alchemy" - IOL
The future of RPGs - Thanks to all the goblins over in our little Game Design Corner niche

OK, I finished off that Web version that I was talking about. It is still a little bit shabby, but I will be fixing it up. I have a lot of HTML code to clean up from that bloated beast . Anyway... You can see it here if you are looking, and it is linked off the main page...

I will also be redoing the main page in the near future. It may take me a little more time to get that far though...

As for the dynamic magic casting stuff, I just copied the original post into that space, I haven''t written down that you posted it Solthar, but I will get around to rephrasing it and adding in the new links and credits.

Also, I said that I would include the stuff listed above in the next version, but the HTML is an intermediate version, so nothing is yet there. Expect some additions for the release of the next Word version. That will be v00.05.02 seeing as the HTML ver is only v00.05.01 .

Anyway... As always - keep posted. Cheers

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Before everybody starts telling me that the web version is screwed I will tell everybody that I know... the U/L must have f***ed up... But I will do a new U/L tomorrow afternoon.. or sunday at the latest.... AAAAAAAAARRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH! That is soooooooooo annoying..

Sorry all

ok, I got a bone to pick with HP and stats.

HP can be very easily eliminated. Back in D&D it was defined as skill in avoiding blows, luck, shear ability to withstand blows... Make your person have Stamina: in fights, Stamina drains quite quickly. Armor already has weight for an inventory, so make that contribute to stamina loss. You don''t need any crazy "armor skill," all it has is different weights-A need for strength and stamina! There still needs to be some method of storing information about how the Player is doing...such as the "localized damage" that was discussed earlier. That needs to store bleeding and dismembering information localized to specific parts...
This also accounts for other things aswell: Magic-Users are weak, therefore can''t wear armor. Theifs needs speed, there fore can''t wear heavy armor. etc...

My other problem is: Class and Skills/stats.
Besides basic things like Strength, Stamina, Inteligence, Wisdom, Dexterity, Charisma, and constitution; all of the things you''ve been refering to as "stats" that arn''t one of the above are "skills." Magic skill, Weapon skill, NO armor skill... Get rid of class and jsut have a gigantic web of skills that the player can choose from, creating his/her own "class." start out broad and go specific: a character decides he wants to be like a theif so: he pursues illsusion/distraction (what magicians use irl, the ones on tv). He gains experience (experience localized to THAT skill ONLY, by USE of that skill) and He goes for another skill that branches off from that: pickpocketing. Or, he could have a change of heart and go for Cantrip spells. Or, Weapon use. or, clerical spell casting. or, _blacksmithing_. or Politics. (run for mayor anyone?)

this is probably confusing typed out...it makes sense in my head...
LOL. You have some good points, and your post was not confusing (at least not to me), though I will have to retype it into the doc ... Got any other inspirations?

Version 00.05.02 will be up later this week. It already has bloated to 24,500 words... So it is no small improvement on the last. It has a few new topics and is all around better with links... I expect to do a full upgrade on the linking soon... Anyway, that is the news to hand...

Be ready for the new D/L SOON

-Chris Bennett of Dwarfsoft - Site:"The Philosophers'' Stone of Programming Alchemy" - IOL

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement