• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Game Demo

This topic is 6352 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, Check out my game and let me know what you think. Please don''t criticise it to badly as i''m pretty new to the world of DirectX. As for the opponent sprites just ignore them, I''m working on getting ''real'' ones done. Oh, if it crashes or anything then please email me the file errors.log to root@cod3r.cjb.net here it is Thanks all Regards, David Stubbs

Advertisement
ERROR: FillScreen, Blitting colour to surface
ERROR: Locking back buffer

and the game run at 1frame for 3second

Hi,
When I first start it up, I get a black screen, until I press return. Then it goes into the game. It seems to work from that point on. I was getting about 31 FPS on average. Keep up the good work!

System:
Win98
Celeron 300A
160 MB RAM
Winfast S320 TNT2 32 MB

Good luck

Zeus Interactive

Yeah, just don''t press return too much after loading the game. I''m in the process of coding an explosion sequence. At the moment return makes it do this sequence (to stop me having to die to test it). If you try and do this explosion too many times it dies a horrible death.

Regards,
David Stubbs

The frame rate is locked at about that. Strange about the black screen. Someone else complained about that a while ago. Did the errors.log file say any errors occured?

I just had an idea about that actually, the black screen, once you get past it does it come to a screen that says press enter to play, or once you press enter on this blank screen does it just start of the game? This could be something to do with the multiple monitor code I added to this, and the dialog asking which monitor to use not displaying above the window.

Edited by - n0p3x on August 27, 2000 11:12:10 AM

On my amd 233 i get about 20fps.

Prim. Card - ATI rage 2+ 1mb
Sec. Card - Voodoo 2 1000 12mb

Oh and btw, when I try to use my voodoo card, the game doesnt start. Just goes back to desktop.

Dave,

Yer game werked just nifty on my AMD K6-2 400mhz machine with a Voodoo Banshee (yes I need more power there). The game gave me 112 something odd frames per second for some reason. My vsync is 120fps incidentally, so that''s not much of a surprise. I like the sound effects, they work nicely when you pop on that GAMEOVER screen. The fact that the return key also exits your game if you hold it down for a split second too long is a minor issue, and something to try to avoid in the future.

For some reason I find it very difficult to play this games, and at times I die when I have not actually collided with one of the malicious objects that hover about. In terms of the use of the hardware, you seem to have it right. You have to play a bit with the game logic though. I suggest applying a bit of physics to the movement of the ship and the other objects. I''ve found from experience that game objects that display properties of momentum and inertia in their motion increase gameplay value because our brains are accustomed to dealing with objects that react in such a matter in the real world. It''s just a thought.

Keep coding, and make your game a reality. I''d love to see this game where the baddies try to shoot you, and their shots can damage and destroy their own compatriots. (Oops! Just gave you a nifty idea, unless you haven''t already thought of this)

Daniel "NitroSR" Piron

• Advertisement