Finding the closest color

Started by
5 comments, last by mr BiCEPS 23 years, 7 months ago
Ok, so I''ve got this array of 256 colors (type RGBQUAD). What algorithm should I use to, in this array, find the absolutely closest color to ANY color? Thanks for your time! /mr BiCEPS
Advertisement
well, if you know the number of the color you''re looking for (0-256) or whatever, you can just look for a matching number. you could do this by creating a look-up table or something.

JoeMont001@aol.com www.polarisoft.n3.net
My HomepageSome shoot to kill, others shoot to mame. I say clear the chamber and let the lord decide. - Reno 911
    RGBQUAD Colors[256];int FindClosest(RGBQUAD rgb){  int iIndexFound = -1;    int iDifferenceFound = 100000;  for(int i=0; i<256; i++)  {    int iDifference =        abs(Colors<i>.rgbRed   - rgb.rgbRed) +         abs(Colors[i].rgbGreen - rgb.rgbGreen) +         abs(Colors[i].rgbBlue  - rgb.rgbBlue);    if (iDifference < iDifferenceFound)    {      iIndexFound = i;      iDifferenceFound = iDifference;    }  }  return iIndexFound;}    

Thanks man!
Worked like a charm!
Hmm, why does this algorithm looks familiar?

Sludge Software
www.sludgesoft.com
Developing a secret of mana style role-playing-game
Sludge Softwarewww.sludgesoft.comDeveloping a secret of mana style role-playing-game
Ah, yes, Baskuenen''s code finds the index of the color with the same *brightness* ,not necessarily the same colour.

(I KNOW, I had this problem too)

FReY
do unto others... and then run like hell.
Baskuenen''s code is calculating the Manhattan distance (it''s really called like that) of two colors. Another way would be to use Euclidian distance ... sqrt((r1-r2)^2 + (g1-g2)^2 +(b1-b2)^2)

The problem is ... there is no ''correct'' way. Both ways of calculating the distance are valid. You might even go further and really use the brightness weighting of the RGB components to get better results:

distance = 0.3 * abs(r1-r2) + 0.6 * abs(g1-g2) + 0.1 * abs(b1-b2)

In the end, whatever works is good ... not a good answer, but so very close to the truth.

MK42

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement