2things 'unidentified symbol _main' n install of 7.0a

Started by
5 comments, last by JwayneT 23 years, 7 months ago
Good Evening fellow code scribes,

I was compiling my code over to MSVC++ 5.0 pro and I ran into some interesting errors. I first wrote my code in Borland, but I wrote in in ASCII format so it compiles fine. It''s the linker that is giving me trouble. I keep getting ''unidentified symbol _main'' and ''unidentified symbol DirectDrawCreate@12''. Now I ran into these errors in Borland, but I think that the solution is compiler specific.

Now for the next question, how do I properly install DirectX 7.0a SDK onto my Computer? a.h{text-decoration:none;color:blue;};a.h:hover{text-decoration:underline;background:red;};

Snootchie Bootchies!

-=CF=-
a.h{text-decoration:none;color:blue;};a.h:hover{text-decoration:underline;background:red;};

Why is it called a hot water heater? Isn't it cold when it goes in the tank?

[email=jtaylor@gtemail.net" class="h]-=CF=-[/email]
Advertisement
To fix the first problem, you need to add the Direct Draw libraries to your project. Go to Project->Settings then to the Link tab and add dxguid.lib and ddraw.lib to the list.

Installing the DX7 SDK is pretty straighforward: just run the install program .

----------------------------------------
"Before criticizing someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away and have their shoes." -- Deep Thoughts

"If you have any trouble sounding condescending, find a Unix user to show you how it's done." - Scott Adams
I think I have allready added the .lib files but I will check again. And thanx for the 7.0a help, I didn''t look at it yet and I thought that it was just a bunch of headers that I had to put in, like in borland.

a.h{text-decoration:none;color:blue;};a.h:hover{text-decoration:underline;background:red;};

Snootchie Bootchies!

-=CF=-

Why is it called a hot water heater? Isn't it cold when it goes in the tank?

[email=jtaylor@gtemail.net" class="h]-=CF=-[/email]
Your undefined symbol problem may stem from the fact that your project is not set up correctly, it should not be a win32 console app, it should just be a win32 app.

As Senshi said, make sure the libs are added and you may also want to add the header files into your project too, and make sure the tools->options->directories tab has your DX SDK directory in it as the first in line.

-Mezz
JwayneTI thought that it was just a bunch of headers that I had to put in, like in borland.

Huh? I use Borland and didn't have to do anything like that. Well, other than make sure I used the correct libs but that wasn't difficult.

Regards,
David Stubbs

P.S. How do you do that quote thing you all seem to do?

Edited by - n0p3x on August 29, 2000 5:58:15 AM
Regards,Dave
Well microsoft in its *infinite wisdom* includes an outdated..at least now it is...version of DX libs with the compiler
Thus you have to make sure the newer lib and include folders are above the older folders so that it pulls from the correct DX libs and not the ones installed with the compiler
That outdated version would be DX 3.0. Yeah, I have seen about 20 questions like that come through here in the past month (at least 20 ) and the solutions I gave were all as simple as that... It stuffs sooo many people up that it just makes me dislike M$ more

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
-Chris Bennett of Dwarfsoft
"The Philosophers' Stone of Programming Alchemy"
IOL (The list formerly known as NPCAI) - A GDNet production
Our Doc - The future of RPGs
Thanks to all the goblins over in our little Game Design Corner niche

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement