• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheShadow

Your own company

8 posts in this topic

I just wondered how you guys could manage to get your own company of game development working? What is needed to do so? And what are the best ways to start up... I would appreciate some information... I used to be afraid of the dark, until i saw the light.

The firm I''ll cocreate with many people is not up yet.
However we are already talking to people in the industry and finding contacts.

Fortunately, we each know some people in the industry.
We have already two projects in the box, both with detailed Game Design Documents.

We''ve recruited people interested inthose projects and everyone is already working on the first in parse time.

When the firm will be up we would have already a 20-50% completed project.
Our future manager (not me) is already finding partners and founds...

It''s just a matter of planning.

-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-

I havn''t started a company but i would presume that a detailed business plan would be pretty high up on the list of must do''s. Then you could probably start looking into getting some financial support. From what i''ve read, great game design documents aren''t really going to help that much. What investor''s want to know is how much business sence you have. Can you keep yourself afloat and things relavent to that.

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!

If I manage to complete a few of the games that I have planned for, I will set up my company. I hope to have a few more employees than currenly (about 1 and a half... because my friend is half in, half out ) and I do most of the work currently anyway. Business Plan and projection (or forcast, what you are attempting to achieve and how) should be the first thing to consider. I nearly had my company name registered about a month or two ago, but I decided to leave off...

Good luck people

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
-Chris Bennett of Dwarfsoft
"The Philosophers' Stone of Programming Alchemy"
IOL (The list formerly known as NPCAI) - A GDNet production
Our Doc - The future of RPGs
Thanks to all the goblins over in our little Game Design Corner niche

Thanks guys, I hope this gets more posts but until now gotta get more working experience =]

I used to be afraid of the dark, until i saw the light.

Urgh. Company bad. Make knockoffs or lowest common denominator to stay afloat. Kill passion and inspiration. P&L. Feature cuts. Spawn of Satan marketing control company...

Why go corporate? My caveman thinking tells me it''s better to make a labor of love with a few people who are passionate about the subject. Economics is ruthless to design. Look at Looking Glass, or Logic Factory, or Infinite Machine. Designers can''t make games the way artists make art under corporate pressure.

Granted, I''ve only worked for game companies, not run one. But enough discussion with upper management, especially in the bigger companies, has led me to believe that good game design and business are diametrically opposed. But then again, maybe I just jaded...

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...

Hey I am just consuming information here, no real practice...

Wouldn't living in your own video game be cool?

Awww man, you guys stole my idea of starting a game company, geez! First they steal the wheel from me, and now this. Sheez
......hmmmm.......a lawyer?.......sueing.
.....hehe......hehehe......MONEY......hehehehhe
...Wait a minute, who invented the wheel so i can sue ''em?
.....almost worked....