Your own company

Started by
7 comments, last by logicpill 23 years, 7 months ago
I just wondered how you guys could manage to get your own company of game development working? What is needed to do so? And what are the best ways to start up... I would appreciate some information... I used to be afraid of the dark, until i saw the light.
Mecha Engineer (Making Real Humanoid Suits)
Advertisement
The firm I''ll cocreate with many people is not up yet.
However we are already talking to people in the industry and finding contacts.

Fortunately, we each know some people in the industry.
We have already two projects in the box, both with detailed Game Design Documents.

We''ve recruited people interested inthose projects and everyone is already working on the first in parse time.

When the firm will be up we would have already a 20-50% completed project.
Our future manager (not me) is already finding partners and founds...

It''s just a matter of planning.

-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-
-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-
I havn''t started a company but i would presume that a detailed business plan would be pretty high up on the list of must do''s. Then you could probably start looking into getting some financial support. From what i''ve read, great game design documents aren''t really going to help that much. What investor''s want to know is how much business sence you have. Can you keep yourself afloat and things relavent to that.

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!
If I manage to complete a few of the games that I have planned for, I will set up my company. I hope to have a few more employees than currenly (about 1 and a half... because my friend is half in, half out ) and I do most of the work currently anyway. Business Plan and projection (or forcast, what you are attempting to achieve and how) should be the first thing to consider. I nearly had my company name registered about a month or two ago, but I decided to leave off...

Good luck people

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
-Chris Bennett of Dwarfsoft
"The Philosophers' Stone of Programming Alchemy"
IOL (The list formerly known as NPCAI) - A GDNet production
Our Doc - The future of RPGs
Thanks to all the goblins over in our little Game Design Corner niche
One word: Dedication.

That''s how I pulled my company off.

------------------------------
Changing the future of adventure gaming...
Atypical Interactive
------------------------------Changing the future of adventure gaming...Atypical Interactive
Thanks guys, I hope this gets more posts but until now gotta get more working experience =]

I used to be afraid of the dark, until i saw the light.
Urgh. Company bad. Make knockoffs or lowest common denominator to stay afloat. Kill passion and inspiration. P&L. Feature cuts. Spawn of Satan marketing control company...

Why go corporate? My caveman thinking tells me it''s better to make a labor of love with a few people who are passionate about the subject. Economics is ruthless to design. Look at Looking Glass, or Logic Factory, or Infinite Machine. Designers can''t make games the way artists make art under corporate pressure.

Granted, I''ve only worked for game companies, not run one. But enough discussion with upper management, especially in the bigger companies, has led me to believe that good game design and business are diametrically opposed. But then again, maybe I just jaded...

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
Hey I am just consuming information here, no real practice...

Wouldn't living in your own video game be cool?
Awww man, you guys stole my idea of starting a game company, geez! First they steal the wheel from me, and now this. Sheez
......hmmmm.......a lawyer?.......sueing.
.....hehe......hehehe......MONEY......hehehehhe
...Wait a minute, who invented the wheel so i can sue ''em?
.....almost worked....

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement