Advice for the younger newbies...

Started by
7 comments, last by Snori 23 years, 5 months ago
Just a quick plug for Clik&Play (www.klikteam.com) as a starting point for *young* newbies. The jist of most of your links to intro articles seems to be that games proggers better get stuck into C or C++ asap, but for the younger ones this just isn''t realistic - what percentage of 11 year old kids are going to be able to hack it? In my search for something appropriate for my son I''ve come across an number of postings from parents looking for this sort of product. Klik and Play costs US$9 and allows the creation of Tetris, BreakOut, Galaxians etc as per one sensible faq. Very heavily OO too. Of *course* my son wants to create a full 3D spectactular, but that''s not really reasonable, and to be honest he (and all his mates) spend an amazing amount of time playing some pretty simple stuff on Gameboys and GB emulators, so things don''t *have* to be high tech if the gameplay''s there. - Steve Incidently I''ve often seen LOGO suggested as a way for this age group to get into progging - well, I can''t see my son mucking about *there* for long - he wants to produce a game now! I''ve got no doubts that it''d be an ok tool to teach a beginners progging course - but I''m thinking of home, where the kids essentially have to do most of it themselves.
Advertisement
When I was twelve I programmed my first textadventure matey.

My companies website: www.nielsbauergames.com

HA! When I was like 10 a programmed MY first text-adventure.

You sat on your bike and had to guess a number before you went down in the water or something. That was SOOOO cool.

It sure was nice in those old C64-days.

/CMN

(Note that this post didn''t have any real purpose)

Puh, that''s nothing. I programmed my first optimising C++ compiler when I was still in the womb!

It''s not a bragging contest people

Give me one more medicated peaceful moment.
~ (V)^|) |<é!t|-| ~
ERROR: Your beta-version of Life1.0 has expired. Please upgrade to the full version. All important social functions will be disabled from now on.
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
No, I was just thinking about old times...you know the old Ataris...
Hey I played the first game of Chris Roberts. Something like "Rescue on Fractalus" or the like.

My companies website: www.nielsbauergames.com

What is a womb?

womb = uterus = where you came from (or at least, most normal people ).

That is nothing, I programmed DOS and sold it to the guys who sold it to M$ well before I was conceived!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
-Chris Bennett of Dwarfsoft
"The Philosophers' Stone of Programming Alchemy"
IOL (The list formerly known as NPCAI) - A GDNet production
Our Doc - The future of RPGs
Thanks to all the goblins over in our little Game Design Corner niche
I wrote my first line of code on one of my house''s walls, NSA can''t still decipher what it says.

I used to be afraid of the dark, until i saw the light.
Mecha Engineer (Making Real Humanoid Suits)
i remeber klik and play/games factory etc.
About 4/5 years ago (or whenever) it was released, i passed the thing around to about 5 mates (the "others" who had comps back then) and we made hundreds of tiny, but highly addivtice little arcade-like games. This is what drove me to write games today. Gamesfactory was great, you had control the physics etc, and theywere so easily implemented, but after a year or so, i needed more control, and we just needed these extra events and such, so i got coding :/
i was what, 13/15 att he time, and we [eventually] managed to hack away with a ex editor to remove the lisnce screen at the end :D

red@deadpenguin.org
www.deadpenguin.org
__________________graham "red" reeves.[email=red@deadpenguin.org]red@deadpenguin.org[/email]www.deadpenguin.org

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement