• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gyzmo

Creating Worlds

This topic is 6629 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was reading the Nethack thread from a few months ago:
quote:
Original post by Novalis Some more ideas... A 3D world! The graphics remain simple tile graphics or whatever, but have game take into account the fact that some areas are mountains, swamps, valleys, so on and so forth. I've already got some code to generate an entire planet based on a single long int (perlin noise, multifractal, yada yada yada...). Then when you wanted to build your keep or whatever, you could wander off deep into some arctic mountain range to do it. Somebody follows you one day to it, and spreads stories about it... Wow would that be cool. So, if you have a procedurally generated planet, you don't have to worry about gads of disk spce/CPU power... What about the rooms/buildings and so on that people build? Store them as a BSP or a quad tree superimposed on the procedurally generated landscape. Hell, you could do some primitive weather modeling to do big snow-storms, rain, floods...etc.
I'm interested in knowing how to create an entire planet (a BIG one) using a method similar or identical to the one described by Novalis. And I want to use it for a tile-based world, basically I want a function like so: int world(long WorldId, long x, long y) where WorldId is the planet ID, x and y are the cooridates of the tile I want the specs of and the return value is an ID for the type of terrain (maybe a struct with extra info like height) like sea, mountain, swamp, forest, etc. Gyzmo ======================= [signature][/signature] Edited by - Gyzmo on 8/28/00 9:27:02 AM

Advertisement
I forgot to say what I want help WITH

I am looking for resources (math and other information) on planet-creation.

Gyzmo
=======================
[signature][/signature]

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!