• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need video card recommendations

This topic is 6438 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello all, I am in need of a new video card and was wondering if anyone can give me some recommendations. Here are some things that I need/want. 1. Use 2 monitors or TV out for development (debuggin) purposes. 2. Good 3D acceleration, I am developing a 3D game. 3. AGP thanks in advance, BrianH

Advertisement
Hmm...
You want 2 monitor support...the Matrox G400 is a dual-head card, I believe. It''s also AGP. But it''s not the fastest 3d card. I would go with a Nvidia card, either a GeForce or a GeForce 2. They''re extremely fast for 3d, have AGP 4x support, and I think you can find some with TV out.

Martee
Magnum Games

I recently upgraded my video card to a 3d Prophet II MX. I''m very happy with this card for a few reasons. The first was the price: $150. Not too bad considering the GeForce II''s and the GeForce II Ultra''s get up into the 3, 4, and 5 hundred dollar level. The Prophet is a stripped down GeForce II, as a matter of fact. Excellent performance in 3d games as well. With this card and my system (650mhz athlon, 128mb ram) I range from 60-90fps in Quake 3 (1024x768x32 and all the details set to the highest, with FSAA turned off). Overall I found this to be a great bang for the buck.

BTW, I think that there is another version of the 3d Prophet II MX out (or coming out) with the other feature you were looking for: TV out.

Steer clear of the ATI Radeon, at least for a while, if you use Windows 2000. I just recently upgraded to a Radeon 64Mb card but have had nothing but problems with the D3D under Win2K. Hopefully the next driver release will solve this issue.

In the spirit of Graylien''s post: Stay away of Voodoo5 5500.
The drivers are so buggy! My V3 card gets about +300 fps than the V5!
Go figure...

As Martee said the Matrox G400 Max DualHead is the only card that I know of with two outputs. As for cards that have a TV out and a Monitor port I do not think you can use the TV out as a second monitor, it just copies the main image onto the TV screen.

The G400 is not a fast 3D card, but it''s a good development card, as you can use two monitors and set your development envionment to use the second display to step though your code. For game play, the card is not as fast as the latest Geforce cards, as the chipset on the Martox is approx 12 - 18 months old now. When it first came out it was the ONLY card with dual head, and bump mapping in hardware. I''ve got it in my system and if you like playing Quake 2/3 be carful selecting this card, as I have not been able to get ethier to work, and the news groups for matrox were full of Quake 3 problems a while back.

Also the G400 Max DH 32Mb 350DAC version (this is the model I have) comes with a SVGA to svideo / composit video cable

I run with a 3d Prophet II MX in my AGP slot and a Voodoo 3 PCI based card for my second monitor. That way I have two monitors for debugging as well as glide support.

Pest

I''m contradicting Tornado here but what the heck

I''ve had no troubles with my Voodoo 5 so far, and I''m very happy with it. FSAA looks great, Unreal Tournament runs at 35-60 fps at 1024x768 with 2-sample FSAA (you can switch it off and it runs double as fast)

I have an Athlon Thunderbird 800 w/ 256MB RAM by the way

I haven''t heard of a V5 with TV-Out though. For a second screen get yourself some cheap PCI card or try and find somebody who has one and doesn''t need it.

- JQ
pmjordan@gmx.at

lead programmer,
PWC Software

Just an update here, but if you are planning to do any OpenGL dual monitor debugging, then look for a two card approach as the Matrox G400 does not support OpenGL when you have DualMonitor enabled, it is only available when the DualMonitor option is set to off, or clone. Found this out by looking at some FAQ''s on the Matrox website yesterday when I finally gave up trying to get Quake 3 to run.

JonnyQuest: Don't get me wrong, V5 5500 is an excellent card. FSAA is amazing and the performence is pretty good too.
But the drivers are way too buggy.
I was using until recently using 3Dfx's official drivers.
I got tired of those and tried the beta4 drivers.
I got a +15 fps increase. That shows how good 3Dfx are in writing drivers.
Also, If you select 4x or 2x FSAA you get higher frame rate than if you would have chosen 'Fastest Performence' (In most games).
That's very lame.
It's true - GeForce has alot of problems too and Nvidia are just as lame as 3Dfx. But I don't remember having so much problems when I bought my first voodoo
About TV-Out: 3Dfx learned their lesson with V3 3000/3500 and took out Tv-In/Out.

The road to success is always under construction

Edited by - Tornado on September 2, 2000 5:47:39 AM

• Advertisement