• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HellRiZZer

D3DIM, D3D or DDRAW for Tile engine?

This topic is 6623 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was just wandering, what will be the best for a tile game to use: D3D, D3DIM,D3DRM or DirectDraw? I''ve found some tutorials on all of them, exclude D3DRM, but I just need an advice. THANKS!! "DO WE NEED US?"

Advertisement
First thing: D3DIM and D3DRM are both part of D3D. But D3DIM would probably be faster and more suitable for doing "unusual" things like drawing tile polygons (RM''s made for drawing normal 3D meshes.)

Second thing: So it''s down to DirectDraw and D3DIM. If it''s your first time, you should probably choose DDraw because it''s "simpler". It also (generally) reduces the hardware requirements for your game. But D3DIM would probably be better if you were planning on doing things like lighting the terrain, having different-height terrain, etc. So it''s pretty much your choice.

lntakitopi@aol.com - http://www.geocities.com/guanajam

Since you are asking wether to use D3D and DD, then I am assuming you dont know either one of them and probably a new programmer, thus that right there tells you where you should start off at, and that is DD (DirectDraw). If you are knew to directx and game programming then you better start off on DD or you will be hopelessly lost starting first with D3D.

Possibility

I would only use DDraw for Isometric engines! I think, isometric games are mainly for computers, which dont have enough power to render a fully 3d-world, but the user should still get an experience of a 3d-world... thats my reason for ddraw

Actually, many Iso games use D3D, but the popular Age of {Empires, Kings, Conquerers} series doesn''t, fully 2D. If you see the power of it, DDraw isnt that limited, and is much simpeler to use.

-----------------------------

A wise man once said "A person with half a clue is more dangerous than a person with or without one."

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!