Multitasking Under Turbo Pascal 7?

Started by
4 comments, last by Prozak 23 years, 7 months ago
Is it possible to build a preemptive multitasking engine under Turbo Pascal 7? To answer the question quickly, I''ve already done it. If some of you would like to discuss this, just pin a post here. I''ll be listening. For example, if you want to declare a new thread in your program, all you have to do is this: Uses Dos, Crt, MultiT; procedure redraw; begin writeln(''a''); end; begin dtask(redraw, live); clsscr; end. I''m just cheking if people are interested in this topic. See you guys soon... Hugo Ferreira
Advertisement
How many people still use Turbo Pascal? I skipped Turbo Pascal myself, going from Turbo C to Delphi and now to Visual C.

What does the dtask() function do? Can you explain it?

Steve 'Sly' Williams
Tools Developer
Krome Studios
Steve 'Sly' Williams  Monkey Wrangler  Krome Studios
turbo game development with Borland compilers
Made a post here and my Opera crashed right after it.

TP7 was my favorite language some 4 years ago. I was programming in Borland C then, but never liked it much. I find no use of that compiler now (especially for multitasking!). What''s more, I see no use of your post. If you want to show how to do multitasking in Turbo Pascal 7, then post your MultiT source code, if you want to know how to do multitasking on that compiler - the only way you can actually do multitasking is to use timer interrupts (although this is not the only possible way).
I didn''t know it was possible to multitask in a dos environment. that is unless you write your own multitasking system. I''ve never used TP7 though.

JoeMont001@aol.com www.polarisoft.n3.net
My HomepageSome shoot to kill, others shoot to mame. I say clear the chamber and let the lord decide. - Reno 911
Hi again!

I''m sorry, I will not be posting my code
in the near future (2 months), but maybe
after that, who knows?

Well, I builted a very complex and
super-powered units to use with TP7.
They are:
Low-level handling of inputs, like
mouse keyboard and joystick.

Multitasking,
Protected Mode,
Full access to the hole range of
memory, not only the real mode low
memory.
VESA 2.0 full-compliancy.
Window handling system, for u to write windows
with buttons and stuff, etc.

You can run this from a floppy disk. I''m writing a
software to recover data.

Anyone that would like to test my multi-tasking unit, please
leave your e-mail here.

Thank you all,
btw, I''m setting up a site, so, just hang-on for a
couple of weeks, some stuff will be posted there...

Hugo Ferreira
Well, I see no reason why you''re not putting sources - nobody uses Turbo Pascal anymore (or so I think).
About low level handling of inputs, memory managment, protected mode, vesa 2.0 and other stuff - it was (and probably still is) available for free on the web. I had most of that stuff (and still have some) long time ago.
I don''t remember all of the links, but can name a few: somewhere ftp://ftp.simtel.net
ftp://x2ftp.oulu.fi (I think they were going to halt the sever, maybe they''re already down)
http://www.gamedev.net

Enough? ;-)
Laters

P.S. Delphi is the best! :-)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement